1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Not Sure Why It Turned Yellow

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Redneck Express, Feb 15, 2022.

1. I've done about 40 fresh deer heads and 10 dead heads and have never had one do this. It looked good in my shop while it sat there for about a month. Then about a month later buddy sends these pictures. The horn bases stayed white but rest turned yellow. Along with the teeth. Screenshot_20220215-122345_Snapchat.jpg Screenshot_20220215-122555_Snapchat.jpg

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Did you spray it with a cheap clear coat ? Or does your buddy smoke ? Or is it painted?

Tnrandy likes this.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

You sprayed it with something that didn't state "Non Yellowing". Your buddy either had it displayed in the sun ... or (as above) maybe he is a heavy smoker? That isn't grease but a color change that happened after it left the shop. The horns protected the cores which is why they didn't change. You might try and offer to fix it which means you will have to strip off whatever you coated it with.

Nice that your buddy put up a public post on Tiktok for all the world to see instead of just asking you and sending a photo. This is why I strive to make sure things don't happen to generate complaints when stuff is done. If you can fix it, it would be perfectly ok for you to ask to remove the post (which I'm sure somewhere has your name on it) so people don't see it and make a connection that this is the work you do.

Tnrandy likes this.
  4. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

Yeah definitely not grease, has to be a clear coat spray or something. My first euro I did about 20 years ago, I sprayed a clear coat of lacquer, it looked great for about a year or two and now it looks like this skull...yellow!

5. Sea Wolf

That is why I switched to the Paraloid B72 as a sealer. It's a bit different to work with but I have yet to have anything sealed with it yellow. It is a resin, not a lacquer or acrylic so it is a lot more stable. Skulls sealed with it can even be washed. Handy if you have folks handling your stuff all the time (or little kids with sticky chocolate fingers)

Tnrandy likes this.
  6. He sent me a personal message on snapchat asking about a farmers tan. I screen shot it. I had a tik tock notification on my phone. I just sealed it with Mop and glow like all my skulls. He doesn't smoke in the house. He says it was place an a shelf behind a TV that hangs off the the shelf.

7. Sea Wolf

Skull was exposed to something. It is evenly yellow all over .. except the section of bone that was protected by the horn caps, which is still white. Unsure if it has somehow reacted with something to do with the TV. Is it a plasma TV? I'm assuming not as I don't think they make many of those any more. Fireplace in the same room (real one)? Still looks like exposure to smoke. Do they have an Ozone generator in the house? If you have the skull in hand, try this on a test spot. Make a paste of baking soda and brush it on the skull. Let it sit for several hours and then rinse it off. You can also scrub it a bit with something like a toothbrush. A soak in peroxide might also change it. Might have to soak in behind the acrylic to work.