1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Has Anyone Ever Heard Of Detachable Bird Wings On Large Birds?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Connie Mack Moran, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Connie Mack Moran

Connie Mack Moran New Member

Texas
    I read of a taxidermist that did a sandhill crane an he did it with detachable wings. (WHAT).
    I've been mounting birds for over 44 years, an keep up with just about all the new stuff so is this just a 1 time thing because of shipping or is it for real?. sounds liker a tremendous lot of extra work.

let me know

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Ray Murphy, my brother by another mother, developed a system that will allow for detached wings on large birds. They sell at BIRD3 in the Second 2 Nature catalog. If you have specific questions, pm me and I’ll share his phone number with you.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    BrookeSFD16 and msestak like this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

That's the only way I will do a turkey. After my first two with the wings attached, I tried mounting it after detaching the wings and that's the only way I will do it now. Mine are not detachable after mounting it, but they very easily could be.

AFTHUNT likes this.
  4. Leonard "Tazman" Qualls

Leonard "Tazman" Qualls Active Member

Yep, on turkeys, geese and swans. I've done it on turkeys, but wouldn't trust the client to install them if I sent a bird with the wings detached.

5. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Joey what is "BIRD1" at McKenzie? That doesn't show up in a search on their website

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Try Bird3 on the Second 2 Nature website

7. Westcoast

Westcoast Well-Known Member

Tanglewood, Do you leave the scaps on the wing or on the cape? I have a flying turkey about two weeks away and am looking to make the process easier.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I suppose there's more than one way to skin a cat. In 60 years I did swans, eagles, geese and owls with the wings attached. How do you keep them from falling out or spinning?

9. Connie Mack Moran

Texas
    I agree with George, there are always those whom want to get some of the action. Hey if it works for you, go ahead. I also have 21 blue ribbons an award of excellence on waterfowl, an never heard of detachable wings winning anything. maybe I'm wrong, but sometimes old school is always the best. now, is there a video on the technique to detach the wings?

10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The plugs are first fitted to a wire size up to #6. The plug with the wire are then imbedded into the foam body. Wings are wired with the pre fitted end set so it will slide into the plug. For final installation, the wire end is pasted with 5 minute epoxy and slipped into the plug. I use them frequently on skulls. If they will support a skull, most bird wings shouldn’t be a challenge.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I've done it both ways and by far I like scams on the wings.

Westcoast likes this.
  12. Connie Mack Moran

Texas
    show us a video