1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

High School Taxidermy Club

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by pir^2h, Feb 26, 2022.

1. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

The taxidermy club met today at school to start working on their squirrels. We worked on skinning them out today. In four weeks, we will do the mounting (Spring break occurs 14 - 18 March). It was a long day! It took everyone at least four hours to skin these tree rats, some almost five.

FYI -In case anyone is wondering...I have a signed photo release to publish these photos on this site!

Special thanks to Kojak, Trapperjeff, goosehunter51, and bowdeadly for your support of our club.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  2. Since my dad is technologically impaired and stuck in the dark ages of 8080s and BASIC, I've been asked to resize the images from today's project as to not take up everybody's entire monitor / device. IMG_9316.JPG

IMG_9293.JPG
    IMG_9315.JPG
    IMG_9319.JPG

pir^2h, drob, kojak and 3 others like this.

3. pir^2h

Thanks DrakeB! That's my boy! And he is right, I am technologly impaired! LMAO!

drob, msestak, tem and 3 others like this.
  4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

That’s awesome! The only thing I remember skinning in high school was a formaldehyde laced bullfrog!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    livbucks, drob, pir^2h and 2 others like this.
  5. tem

tem Well-Known Member

that is so cool. way to go pir^2h.

pir^2h and msestak like this.
  6. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

In 1975 I took a taxidermy class at Northwestern High School in Wayne County, OH. That is what got me started. We mounted a bird, fish and an animal.

Kerby...

pir^2h and msestak like this.
  7. garlicsalt

garlicsalt Member

One of the best things ever in school for these young folks, possibly life changing. Good on you.

livbucks and pir^2h like this.
  8. pir^2h

Thanks everyone. I never dreamed I would have this much response from a city high school! I figured if I got four or five to join the club I would be lucky and school administration never thought there would be more than a couple. I don't expect any to go into the taxidermy as a business, but as a hobby I could see it. You never know!

9. Penczak

Penczak Active Member

I think it's great too. Somebody has to replace the older generations.

Borax helps to grip the skin to pull it off the. Just makes it feel cleaner
    dryer too.

pir^2h likes this.
  10. pir^2h

I had the kids us cornmeal (kinda messy so I probably won't do that again) because I saved the carcasses to feed to the red fox living on my property. I throw them behind an old abondoned house. I had a trail cam on the area. I can't tell if it is a female I suspect it is due to the number of kits that I see in spring. This way the entire squirrel or whatever critter I am working (except raccoons) on gets used in some form. I had photos on the trail cam of the fox dragging away a deer head. I have read that borax can cause severe problems.

11. This is way cool! Of all things in high school, my favorites were the frog dissection's and owl pellet inspections.
    Congrats on the better than expected turnout.

pir^2h likes this.
  12. bigbrowns

bigbrowns Member

This is Awesome!

pir^2h likes this.
  13. Coonman xxl

Coonman xxl New Member

That’s great! I wish they had that when I was in high school

pir^2h likes this.
  14. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

That is cool, I wonder what I would of done if I had that in school. Spent most of my time in detention. Took up taxidermy on my own, been at it for 40+ years and I still love it.

pir^2h, tem and Coonman xxl like this.
  15. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I love it! Good for you for starting the program. Did you take any of your mounts in to show the students? Probably a dumb question.

pir^2h likes this.
  16. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

That is pretty cool!!! Wish we had that when I was in school.

pir^2h and livbucks like this.
  17. pir^2h

Oh yeah! They loved it. When I take in the lifesize bear standing on its back legs there are more selfies with it taken than I can count!

livbucks likes this.