1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Month In Fish Pictures Spring Edition March / April 2022!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

The Month in Fish Pictures Spring Edition March / April 2022!!!!!!!
    A warm Hello from Hinsdale New Hampshire!

Soon the flowers will be blowing, and the cold of winters bite will be gone. It is Show season!

So many opportunities for folks to attend shows again and to learn! Attend a show see what you can learn, make new friends and catch up with old ones! I hope to see you at one of them this year!

Inspiration is the fuels in which we burn our passions to be the best we can be all awhile having fun and enjoying the world of Fish Taxidermy, Fish carving, Fish art in whatever form.

I have been visiting with you here on the month in Fish Picture’s and being so inspired personally by your efforts and fish work we find ourselves in 2022. The world maybe a challenge right now at many levels but the fish don’t care and we as inspiring artist have fish work to do!

Here is to good health, safe journeys and a life worth living! Keep sharing your gifts of beautiful work!

Rick Krane

Here is the new installment of the month in fish picture for all to enjoy!
    Don’t forget to call a friend and talk to folks about how they are doing import I think it is to do this especially during these days!

Over the past decade’s a wealth of contributors and many great folks who take time to share in this great tradition! We all begin somewhere and all the learning and work hard that goes into the pursuit at being is what makes us the fish artists we become

Why so we share your work!!!!! This tradition of the Month in Fish Pictures has always been a spot on the taxidermy.net where folks can and do come to show their work without criticism and hard comments! So, let’s remember to always keep it that way. As the moderator of this section, I do not get too involved with censorship as that’s not what I’m here for... So please be respectful of all and remember we all have a long way to go and should be enjoying the processes!

Thanks to all the friends sharing their gifts and talents! Inspiration in what we share is part of the friendliness and positive observations of fans of fish work. This is a great place to start in upward in direction of inspiration other with your work regardless of your skill level as a fish taxidermist or Fish-carver!

You’re here reading because you want to be inspired to be the best Fish-head you can be! Always be thankful for your gifts of great passion and talent as an artist! It is a blessing to me for our lives to be joined from time to time to share and learn from one another so thank you for your great taxidermy work and your lives continue to be blessed with inspiration!!!!

I want to personally say thank you for joining me each month for each installment of the Bi-Monthly in Fish Pictures to share in your successes and accomplishments! I have seen first-hand the great strides so many have made with beautiful fish work! Good for you and congratulations on your hard work!!!!

A BIG thank all the great contributors who not only share their personal great talents and work but also rather give such positive inspiration to all of us!

All levels of artists are welcome!!!! From beginners to the best in the world we all join in every month in a critique free and hassle-free string with nothing more than great artist and inspiring fish taxidermist and carves get together to share with one another their praise and inspiration of good will and friendship to one another. No egos just friendly folks who appreciate the efforts of others!

Can’t wait to see your beautiful fish work in this segment! See you in May 2022 for a new edition of the Month in Fish pictures! Be “SAFE” and be kind to one another!

Spring is around the corner and will be here are here is to a great Spring in 2022!!

My Best

Rick Krane

wwwanglersartistry.com
    https://www.facebook.com/Rick.Krane.Anglers.Artistry/

Anglers Artistry
    312 Chesterfield Road Hinsdale
    New Hampshire 03451
    Office:603-336-7296
    Web: www.anglersartistry.com

I want to start the March/ April 2022 year off with a look at few fish from Mr. Danny Newport of TX!

Here is Danny’s Walleye Project
    IMG_9133 2.JPG

IMG_9180 2.JPG

IMG_9189 2.JPG

IMG_9190 2.JPG

IMG_9202 2.jpg

Here is Adams O's Smallmouth Project

Attached Files:

JE, drob, Frank E. Kotula and 8 others like this.
  2. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

ARP blank with my fins 00EB8E03-B991-489B-BEF5-41ABB756A909.jpeg this guy was caught in the lake and and was still bright. Only reason I excepted it to do was the amount of red isn’t common on a Great Lakes fish. 84F7C62A-3ACC-421A-9C2F-53D42735CAB4.jpeg

3. Axishunter

Axishunter New Member

Nice work, Mudbat! I would hang that Brown on the wall of my man room with pleasure!

4. Cutthroat

Cutthroat New Member

Excellent, inspirational write-up. Thanks Rick. Very nice work on the walleye by Danny Newport.

Rick Krane likes this.
  5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    upload_2022-3-9_21-45-34.jpeg

Trashfish, rogerswildlife, JE and 8 others like this.
  6. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Carl, very nice work on your Hog fish!

Clew likes this.
  7. Clew

York, SC
    Thanks

8. crablover

You are welcome Carl ! so glad to see someone who does saltwater fish other than the typical common panfish, bass and trout and salmon. The bondo/resin molding and casting process used by so many would be worthless for the larger saltwater species.

Clew likes this.
  9. Hi Crab, im interested in molding and casting marine fish , and bondo/resin is all im familiar with what would a better suggestion be cheers

10. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Is a great looking fish for sure. why is it that you couldn’t mold a saltwater fish with out gel coat Bruce?

11. crablover

Ryan, I have no reason to challenge your method of fish molding compared to the traditional method used by many industries in producing fiberglass molds and parts. I am quite sure boat hulls, fiberglass car bodies and many other fiberglass items do not use bondo and fiberglass for molding or casting. The difference between the two is the understanding in how to properly use the materials. If you ever get the opportunity to mold and cast a fish larger than a bass or salmon, you will understand the limitations in the bondo/resin method. Of the handful of experts you mentioned in a previous post none offer any species other than the typical freshwater panfish, trout or salmon. One of those you mentioned was Rich from Angling Artesian. Prior to his blanks being offered for sale, he bought blanks from me, and I shared much information with him on traditional molding and casting. I have no desire to get into a pissing match with anyone regarding their method of choice. I can assure you not one of the major blank suppliers use the bondo/resin method to produce a mold or blank. It should be obvious why this method is not used other than for small fish or a one off cast

Clew and Mudbat like this.
  12. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Just wasn’t sure if there was a limitation to what can be done with it our not. Was a legit question and not aimed at trying to start a debate. Yeah I’ve got zero interest in molding anything beyond the few that I have or do.

Glenn M and Clew like this.
  13. Clew

York, SC
    This is that you g man I’m teaching in my shop and his bream,
    He casted it from one of my molds and did all work himself
    upload_2022-3-13_19-59-34.jpeg

hlh, Rick Krane, birddog1964 and 12 others like this.
  14. crablover

Ryan, not quite sure what you are referring too. Is it the bondo/resin mix many call gel coat or traditional molding gel coat

15. crablover

Carl, it is an inspiration to see you sharing with the younger generation. It will come back to you ten fold, and my hats off to you!

16. crablover

Beltonbanger, ARUsher, JE and 4 others like this.
  17. crablover

Last table mount Crab diorama 1.JPG Crab diorama 1.JPG Stone Crab finished

18. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

When you guys mold stuff in the sand doesn’t the sand stick to the mold? Have always wondered about that

19. crablover

Ryan, once the wet sand was shaped to accept the fish, I laid wet burlap where the shelf would be. Then prior to placing the fish, black plastic bags were positioned in the depression and over the wet burlap. The fish was then added over the plastic and the plastic was manipulated to remove any air and wrinkles. The plastic sticks to the wet burlap giving you the ability to get a smooth solid shelf around the fish. You can work the sand under the burlap to get a nice division line around the fish and fins. Since the sail and bill had been removed, only the anal, tail and upper and lower keel fins needed to be positioned. Wire was pushed into the sand to hold those fins in place. Everything was left for a short time to dry as I prepped the resins. Before the resin application, the plastic was coated with the mold release. I use a liquid wax that needs just one coat and requires no buffing and dries very fast. Oscar's 500 liquid mold release often called OP 500. A rattle can spray wax can also be used like any of the Mann's resin wax's. My intension was only to get a detailed partial mold that was strong enough to move and transport, hence to choice of tooling resin. Once the two mold parts were completed, all chase work and matt backing were done in house along with bill and dorsal molding. Hope this answers your question. Have a great day

20. Clew

York, SC
    The big plus side in doing it this way is you’re sides will separate so much easier, with the first coat over straight sand, make separating a real bugger don’t ask how I know!