1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

wrapping mammals

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by oldterryr, Aug 27, 2007.

1. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

McKenzie sent me a bobcat without a leg - i had some excelsior for when i learn to wrap mammals - thot what the heck have a got to lose so i got some wire and started with the leg that i had as a model - came out okay and i got him mounted okay - i have a couple of ?'s for you vets - how do you get it to stay flat (like the top of a bobcat leg) as opposes to oval - i tried compressing in vise and that hleped but not the exact look i wanted - i bent wire 3 times to give it rigidity and then put to wires thru foam body and twisted wire together on top of manniken and buried wires and sealed with bondo

tips

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

You model it after the real leg. That is, wrap muscles. Roll a log of excelsior between your hands like a big ole stogie, tapered on each end, add to the front or the back of the leg as opposed to the inside or outerside..One muscle group at a time. ;)

3. Are you working with the excelsior wet or dry? working with it wet gives you much more control. it compacts better and bries harder, soak some in a bucket and squeeze out as much excess water as possible. you will be amazed at how much easier it is to work with.

4. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Terry,you can do some shaping of the excelsior by sewing through it,back and forth with some cotton string and a large needle.This is also how you make that indentation between the backstraps and gut.Another way to wrap a leg on bobcat and larger animals is to cut a perfect silhou
    ette of the leg from 1/4" plywood and put a thin layer of excelsior on each side then wrap that.It should make a flatter leg.With the pywood core,you only need a short threaded rod on the foot end.You can also cut out that hollow space in the hock,using the plywood core.Of course carving a leg from foam and installing a rod is also a god way.You could also pour foam on each side of a plywood silhouette and carve that.If you can find some of the old Leon Pray manuals,there is a lot of good info on excelsior wrapping.

5. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

All of the above plus you can make it stronger by soaking the finished , (dry) wrap job in amber shellac and let it dry before you use it .

6. Why not get McKenzie to send you a leg or a new form.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

A plaster mold of the other leg filled with foam and a rod.