1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Small Lip Fleshing Blade

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by livbucks, Mar 10, 2022.

1. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Anyone try one of those from Mckenzie? I need to replace my Dakota V blade and wonder if it's just another gimmick.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I haven't but don't see a benefit. I would think that you would have fewer times to touch it up.

3. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

I like the small lip, I use to get from HQ/Carolina fur. I just got one from D. Price looks same as Carolina Fur blade. I haven't tried it yet though, but I am sure it will work the same. Try one to see if you like the small lip better, I think they are much better.
    https://fleshingmachines.com/product/new-blades/

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    D.Price likes this.
  4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    why do you like it better?

5. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

It's been a long time since I used the big lip, I just remember when I switched, it made a night to day difference when it came to shaving, keeping the blade sharp and able to take wider cuts, but maybe just because I can sharpen them easier?
    The lip on the ones I use is very small probably like 1/16 of an inch or less something like that, probably the same as what Mckenzie is selling. You can do a lot of capes even with the small lip.

3bears likes this.
  6. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

Thanks for the plug Glenn!

DP

livbucks likes this.
  7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I used to be a big lip then stainless hogger and then got introduced to a tannery blade. Since then I’ve never looked back at those blades.
    I’m not knocking the one sold by McKenzie but I’ve read and talked to a lot who’s got them and it didn’t do the job they expected. I have no opinion other than that as I get my blades from a tannery that well shave hides every day of the yr and they know what steel to use and how to sharpen them. When the day comes and who knows when I would only buy by one from a company that can uphold to how my guy sharpens blades. I would only get one from DH Price. He not only sells them to us but also tanneries. That goes to show you the quality he produces. Www.fleshingmachines.com

Glenn M likes this.
  8. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Well ok! I kinda "know" D. Price. Will call him when Im ready. And it looks like he will sharpen them if you buy from him. My decision has been made!