1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Black Duck Wing Pocket

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Doodle, Mar 10, 2022.

1. Doodle

Doodle New Member

Ky
    I'm doing a black duck,standing.i set my wings in the wing pockets like you do wood ducks.i was searching google images for a standing black duck.90 percent of them don't set in the wing pocket.i guess my question is does it matter or I'm I doing it wrong? Thanks!

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The pics I got from google shows them in the wing pocket pretty good, however, if you are following reference your good to go. I don't do ducks, but this is what I see.

3. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Tanglewood, after 7,000 + posts you have never posted any pictures of your work, yet have the answers for all phases of taxidermy. Post some pictures of your work

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

One doesn't have to post pics to have knowledge of taxidermy. If you think I was wrong, just say so.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  5. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Tanglewood, after answering 7000+ posts on all phases of taxidermy, including species you don't claim to do, I would think you would share your knowledge and application of that knowledge in some of your work via photos showing how that knowledge has been applied in your own work. We all know visual examples are far better than written. I just find it unusual that someone who shares so much taxidermy knowledge with others has never shown examples via photos of your work.

6. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

you go first :)

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I study taxidermy techniques, new and old, often throughout the year. I study forms of taxidermy and various species of animals that I never intend on doing, because someday I might want to do one. I studied and experimented with mounting turkeys for several years before I actually mounted one. The same with deer and various mammals. I study fish and reptiles of which I can pretty well say that I will never mount. I don't do ducks, mainly because I din't want to, I don't hunt them and I didn't want to deal with federal permit thing, but I do mount birds, of which I have studied for over 30 years, all of the time. I have shared some of my work with award winning taxidermists, including some on here that gave me favorable criticism. I don't feel the need to stroke my ego and if you don't like my answers to questions, just point out where I was wrong and why and we can have a discussion.

msestak likes this.
  8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I didn't offer written examples of my work. I offered that I did google black ducks and saw that in a lot of the pics, those ducks had their wings in their wing pockets to some degree and that if you go by reference, you are most likely to not be wrong.

msestak likes this.
  9. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

9088A228-0BBA-47F7-8DC8-25FA42FADC8B.jpeg

10. Doodle

Doodle New Member

Ky
    20220312_150047.jpg
    I was trying to get more color in him,instead of just standing.i can post a picture of it.but be easy on a old man.first one I've done in 25 years.still got a lot of grooming and painting to do.will that wing look alright like that or put it down in normal position.does the raised scalps look bad I can't decide?

11. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

67C7755A-6398-4250-ACD7-5EB9CC480644.jpeg 67C7755A-6398-4250-ACD7-5EB9CC480644.jpeg 67C7755A-6398-4250-ACD7-5EB9CC480644.jpeg