1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cows Horns

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Brady sluder, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Brady sluder

Brady sluder New Member

I normally boil horns off but I’ve got a Watusi that has horns too big too even turn sideways. I don’t want to but a bigger pit because of lack of storage and that I rarely do cows anyway. Is there another way to get them off? It doesn’t have to be a super quick way. If it takes a couple of days that’s fine. Thanks

2. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Well-Known Member

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Absolutely use the Advanced Search on here on how to do that. There is even a post on here where someone had a Watusi I believe that they used ratchet straps to get them off. Don't remember who but search for Watusi horn removal or something similar and you should find it.

4. tomgobbler

tomgobbler Well-Known Member

They are a pain because of how big they are - my pot will fit a Buffalo skull but only about half way down a watusi horn - I still boil the horn and get it hott and hope the heat goes all the way down it….. then tie the skull
    To something that doesn’t move and then a couple half hitches around horn and i come-a-long them off very carefully……

watusi are the thinnest brittlest horns I’ve ever done ….. it amazing how thin they actually are compared to how big they are ……

once you do get them off the end will warp and turn up really bad when drying - I put a whip cream or sour cream container in the end of them ( or what ever size best fits ) with a big hose clamp around them and snug them down to keep there shape -while drying …. works good for me …. Good luck !
    367899A7-E22F-42C7-8962-5A67EABD6328.jpeg