1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thinning Pickled Hide

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Jean M, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Jean M

Jean M Well-Known Member

I have only tanned a couple of foxes and 3 deer capes, so I always have questions and doubts.
    I've had a deer cape that has been in a 6 gal pickle for about 2.5 days now. Planning on thinning it tomorrow at 3.5 -4 days.

Instructions I have read suggest shaving after 3 days and returning to pickle.
    I have done it that way for the other few capes I have done.
    I've been stirring the bath, flushing pickle into ears, checking pH each time. can't see there being any issue with an extra day in pickle.

Am I wrong?

2. When shaving, should I do final detail shaving of eyes, nostrils etc at this point, or just later when ready to mount?
    Just thinking that return to pickle had swelled those areas back a bit more on previous projects. I'm slow enough at this, that hate to have to rework if I can avoid it. Just curious about what others are doing.

On commercially tanned hides I've worked with, those areas are left thicker for taxidermist to deal with, and I can understand why.

On some previous capes I've found there to be a greasy residue inside the ears.At what point can I safely wash this out using a shampoo or Dawn? ( I do not have Kemol or other tannery degreaser on hand)
    On the others I washed them after applying the tan. (Also to help wash out any tan residue on hair side)

Using Mckenzie Ultimate acid and Mckenzie tan after pickle.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. drob

drob Well-Known Member

Three days in pickle is a minimum before fleshing,longer is ok.I flesh as much as possible before I tan-makes finish fleshing easier.

3. Jean M

Jean M Well-Known Member

Thanks very much. I'll most likely thin the hide tomorrow afternoon or Sunday morning.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You could shave them after a week or a month in the pickle. Just make sure it is done after three days. It is also important to return them to the pickle for at least a day or more after shaving them.

Jean M likes this.
  5. Jean M

Jean M Well-Known Member

It's nice to have a bit more confidence going forward.
    Looks like a tomorrow job.

Thanks Tanglewood

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.