1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tips To Fix A Big Mess Up?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Crepuscular Creature, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Hello, I'm trying to mount a red fox for my senior project and I messed up the rear area while skinning. My best guess is that muscle memory took over, because I accidentally cut the genitalia and anus out of the rest of the pelt as if I were going to tan and keep/sell it as a wallhanger. I've ordered a mannequin that is posed in a partial sitting position, hoping to make that mistake less obvious, but does anyone have any tips on how to better cover up this mistake?

I'm just starting out and this is my first mount, so my best guess would be to try and sew up the hole if there is enough extra pelt or to just try and cover it with the tail or something else. Any advice is appreciated! (The pelt is currently in the freezer until I can get a hide stretcher and a few other things I still need.)

2. Lil critters

Lil critters Member

I would sew up the hole or holes if there is more than one. On a sitting fox that shouldn't be a problem.

Crepuscular Creature likes this.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

With it sitting, with long hair in the back thighs you won’t see the area. You can also, position the tail to further cover up any area that might possibly be visible.

4. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Well-Known Member

I've seen fox sitting in grass a lot . . . Sew up the holes, when dry use real or artificial grass until all past issues are no longer seen. Outa sight . . . Outa mind

5. drob

drob Well-Known Member

Be very careful with a hide stretcher when working with a fox,they tear very easy.Good way to stretch them is to hold between hands and gently " pop " hide.Also if you have time maybe you could lay a prey animal such as a squirrel in the area you are concerned about.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Foxes can also slip easily, especially on the belly. If you don't have any Stop Rot, get a bottle and use it.