1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Basic Fish Questions

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Jean M, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Not to be picky
    But look at your eyes I don’t see a smooth transition to the eye
    You can see some when the fish gets tilted but will be at the bottom
    But that eye is forward and the back and top will have a smooth transition showing sclera band really well with its shape

2. Clew

York, SC
    The best friend you have doing fish is reference

3. Clew

York, SC
    upload_2022-5-22_18-35-36.jpeg

4. Jean M

Jean M Active Member

Manitoba
    Clew,
    Thanks for the observations, if you were going to get picky, I'm certain you would be tired of typing before the list was complete.

I looked back at more references and I think I've got this fish a little more cross eyed than forward-looking. Plus when rebuilding the shrunken areas, I lost some of the shape in front of the eye
    I added to the fin muscle, filled in a bit more on lower cheek where it still looked wrinkled. Also added several layers of modpodge to build up the upper mandible plate and the lips, top and bottom. The lower jawline was kind of rough, so I spread on some bondo and resculpted that. I'm a lot better at carving than modeling soft fillers.
    I will admit that the underside of the bottom jaw is pretty thin looking when compared with live reference, but I'll have to chalk some of this up to a learning experience.
    I think it would be easier to carve one from wood, but I'll stick with birds there.
    20220523_101139.jpg

5. Clew

York, SC
    As a beginner I think you did a bang up job,
    I know some very experienced guys that don’t do a mount job this good

6. Jean M

Jean M Active Member

Manitoba
    I appreciate that Clew.

The critiques drive improvement .

7. Jean M

Jean M Active Member

Manitoba
    This was the first perch I had mounted. Just got it painted today.

I know an expert could get it done in a fraction of the time I spent, but I do enjoy painting, and this was mostly experimentation.

Acrylics. Combination of hand painting and airbrush.

I will need to get some airbrush paints if I do any more fish. (And get better with the machine) I'd also like to try some of the Pearl ex powders in the future.

I tried to limit the detail to more of a commercial type mount. The second fish will likely get more detail.

20220528_193716.jpg

8. Jean M

Jean M Active Member

Manitoba
    20220528_192119.jpg

Some drybrush stippling for detail.
    20220528_192215.jpg

Some splattery airbrush work.:confused:
    I darkened the fin edges to create a bit of a translucent effect, I think it got a bit too dark.
    20220528_192731.jpg

20220528_192429.jpg

3bears and arrow30 like this.
  9. Jean M

Jean M Active Member

Manitoba
    Got the 2nd one done today.

I added scale tipping to this fish, it does create a nice sheen.
    I did a few washes over the scale tips to adjust the colour, but also to soften the tipping which looked harsh in some areas (especially the dark areas)But, of course, once dry and clear coated, the tipping is a bit more subtle that I hoped.
    Next fish, I will know to wait until the colour is correct, then add extremely thin washes only to areas that look too bold.

20220529_175411.jpg

20220529_175428.jpg

Bruledrift and ARUsher like this.