1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Barbarossa Ram Tanning Question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Monette Taxidermy, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Monette Taxidermy

Monette Taxidermy New Member

Hey Everyone,

I just received a Barbarossa ram and deer hide I had sent out for commercial dry tanning. The deer came back beautiful, but the ram is still really dirty. I just started sending out for tanning this year and this is my first ram. I’m not sure what to expect but this ram is really really dirty. Is it normal for wool to come back like this? Is there something I need to do now once received? I can’t imagine my customer being happy with how this turned out. I don’t want to name the tannery just yet in case I have to deal with them on this, if so, I want to see how they handle it before I toss their name around.
    Thank you for your input!

Attached Files:

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It’s hard to say cause some tanners will clean, bleach, comb out those issues for a cost. The tannery did what it’s supposed to do and tan the skin, and hopefully it’s done properly. We don’t know what was taken part in what you and the tannery spoke about etc etc. They would have done this if notified and it would be additional costs. So even if you name them which would be wrong cause they can’t rebuke your words to theirs. I would call and talk with them and come up with a resolution for both of you.
    I know I would have cleaned and bleached it but that’s me. JMO

3. Monette Taxidermy

Monette Taxidermy New Member

Thank you for the reply. I called ahead and then sent it out for dry tanning there was no mention of bleach and comb, otherwise I would have said to do it and I wouldn’t be typing right now. I didn’t know that bleaching and combing would be extra, I just assumed that would be included. Not sure why anyone would want a dry tanned hide with a bunch of dirt and crap in it. I’m gonna get on the phone and see what they say.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.