1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Nutria Or Beaver Skull? Jawbones?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Minz, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Minz

Minz New Member

I have a pile of skulls from last year and another bucket from this year (I do not learn).

Last year I kept some skulls after the trapping season. I tried several different ways of processing them but in the end they all ended up in a bucket. Teeth go where teeth go but selling a skull, I do not want to sell a nutria as a beaver or the other way around.

Any idea of differences between beaver and Nutria skulls? I did not think they would be so remarkably alike.

Any suggestions on which lower jaw goes with which skull? I even have trouble with which half goes with its partner.

2. PA

PA Well-Known Member

They look entirely different! I can't see how you could mistake one for another. Jaws look different as does all parts of the skull. Looking head from the front of the skull, beavers have no large opening in front of the eye area - the infraorbital canal.

3. Minz

Minz New Member

Well I guess from the response I should have taken a better look through the buckets of dead things and done a better infraorbital canal inspection! Maybe some smaller words? so you are saying that the eye holes are different by the nose area?

4. PA

PA Well-Known Member

There is a large hole anterior to the area where the eye is on the skull on the nutria and solid bone on the beaver. Porcupines also have a larger infraorbital canal. A simple google search can give you multiple views. Here are two. The sizes in the two below pictures aren't to scale.

[​IMG]

upload_2022-4-18_19-5-17.jpeg upload_2022-4-18_19-5-35.jpeg

5. Minz

Minz New Member

is that top one right a muskrat?
    So you are trying to say the beaver has an eye socket and the nutria has a big hole correct?

6. PA

PA Well-Known Member

7. Minz

Minz New Member

Thanks, I am pretty new to the keeping of things without Fur (pelts). So far it depends on how much dead stuff is stacked on the back of the truck. I never even considered keeping a muskrat skull. They hit the traps as 'incidental'
    Here was last years bucket of what got kept, I am trying to separate. Organization is not my strong suit.
    skulls 2021.jpg them better for this years.

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I had sets of a beaver and a nutria skull each that I used to sell for comparison. Nutria are available but not the beavers. Nutria should be a lot smaller than the beaver. As PA showed you, look at the eye sockets to see the difference.