1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear Rug Leg Issue

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mcking, Apr 19, 2022.

1. mcking

mcking Member

Hey everyone. I have a pretty good problem here. I have a black bear rug up next. It's tanned ready to go. Issue is, back in the fall when the hunter got it and skinned it, instead of cutting down the center of the rear legs, he cut down the side of the legs and side of the feet.... I have no idea what to do with it. Can someone give me some ideas here, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Well the pads are cut out for a rug so that’s not to big of a deal , I’ve had them cut in all kinds of ways , your problem would be if they were cut differently on each leg . It may not be the ordinary look , but if it was equal, I would just trim a bit and go with it . After it’s padded and trimmed out , I think it be fine . Your only other option is to sew it back up and recut it .

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

13 point’s assessment is right on. Depending on which side of the leg was cut, there is going to be an excess on the opposite side that will likely need to be trimmed to make it look right, but that may make it look smaller or thinner or make the legs look abnormally long. Once the padding and trim is on it may not be all that noticeable. LI would suggest that before you cut anything lay it out flat and stretch it out like you want the rug to lay and place paper, paper towels or towels lined up on top of the hide to cover the areas you would need to trim so you can have a visual idea of how it will look after you trim off those areas. Then make your decision. As mentioned, Sewing it up and re-cutting down the center is an option but a lot more work.

13 point likes this.
  4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I sew them up and make the proper cuts. Problem solved.

Richard C, 3bears and 13 point like this.
  5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yep like Frank said, sew it up and cut it where it needs to be. The only issue I've seen is where they cut some skin off and throw it away. I've had them start cut on inside of leg and end on outside like a barbershop pole. Luckily bears hide seams well.