1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird Freezing After Relaxer Wash

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by BB's, Apr 26, 2022.

1. BB's

BB's New Member

I have a personal bird that got fleshed, washed, rinse, and soaked in relaxer. I haven't used bird tan yet. Question is can I freeze it or is it best to dry it and then freeze it? And how long can it keep like that I'm the freezer?

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I'm unfamiliar with using relaxer or bird tan, but the freezer is usually safe. I freeze all my washed ready to mount skins in a baggie with water and they are good like that for years in the freezer.

3. Relaxer and tanning? Never heard of or done this.
    Have done re-freeze though and not had any issues. I don't fill the bag with water though. Just froze them after the rinse process. I may or may not run it through a bath again, depending on how clean they are after I thaw and "float" a few times in clean water.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have heard of tanning and tried it once, but a relaxer bath is foreign to me.

5. GotHonks

GotHonks Well-Known Member

Kinda funny cus I just finished up a Rio in rare Red color Phase that had been frozen in a block of ice water/dawn since 2000 .. Buddy of mine that was a Taxidermist killed it and didn't have time to mount it at the time but knew how to keep it good for long , long time . I couldn't believe it , once thawed out ..Looked like one Id just skinned couldn't tell whatsoever it had been in the freezer for close to 22 yrs ... Only thing Im noticing is that it looses feathers very easy and lots of them so Im thinking that has to be from being froze so long ... But no telling ..

magicmick and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  6. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

BB's tell us (I'm liking your handle huh Brooke) more about your process in doing this bird. What you did and used. It'll help us all get on the same page

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

And we all might learn something new.