1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looking For Critique About 20 Birds In.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Kostyniuk-outdoors, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Kostyniuk-outdoors

Kostyniuk-outdoors Alberta free and proud

Canada
    3rd time injecting feet and using an artificial head, first time playing with eyelid sculpting using apoxie sculpt, first time making marsh mud and using envirotex epoxy for mud/water. Let me have it I'm debating doing a couple of pieces later this year and entering competitions in novice category... am I ready for that yet?
    And would this be acceptable level commercial work? Still a couple years away from accepting any client work but I hope I'm getting there.
    The feet were finished with a layer of matte mod podge but still too shiny for my liking, gonna try a krylon flat next time.

20220423_064537~2.jpg 20220423_064923~2.jpg 20220423_065508~2.jpg

msestak, jessewild, pir^2h and 2 others like this.
  2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

You’re good enough to go pro with this work. main issue is your lesser and middle wing corverts are still dirty as their split. Or they need to be groomed more. Then o would do a dark brown wash on the feet. Other than this go and get a good close up look from your judge . Good luck and you’re doing well!!!

msestak and pir^2h like this.

3. Amazing work!!!

4. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

way past ready for competition, go get em !!

5. Go for competition in the pro category.
    If you can get any one that wants to pay for your work .make that money.
    Pull the scaps up and out
    Your legs are too far low ,easier to keep hip bone attached and have correct lengths
    Don't use the ferebee bodies
    Use Shane Smith bodies they are closest out there or heavily cut up and measure your own bodies
    Looks like body was slightly too long and why you had no room for the wings to lay in pocket right and scaps fell into the neck
    The reason your wing coverts are split is poorly you washing and drying and either soap still on the wing or when you blow dried you didn't dry it completely .
    Don't use fuels or solvents . Save your health and lungs and liver ,get a pet blow dryer off Amazon for 125 and there will never be use for solvents or gas
    Save your money ,don't waste it on envirotex. Take the dirt mix it with Elmer's glue and spray lacquer gloss from the rattle can from Walmart it's alot cheaper and same effect.
    Don't bother with eye rings . Not need at this stage and nobody will see them if you do your eyes right. Look at live birds most of the time they are super tiny and unnoticeable. The more time you spend on shit no one will see the less money you make
    Neck skin needs pulled up slightly
    Looks like either the artificial head was too large over the top of the skull or your head skin dried too early before it got put in place .just measure the skull versus your artifi head .
    Doing good work,go get that money and customers

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022