1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning Rabbits - Dry And Wet Tans

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by SloppyDoe, Apr 30, 2022.

1. SloppyDoe

SloppyDoe Member

Kansas
    Hello, I am having trouble finding information on tanning rabbits in a proper method for taxidermy. For capes I'd like them wet tanned, so what is the best process? I've heard of just borax, or denatured alcohol, it doesn't seem reliable to me so what's the best way?
    As for full skins I'd like them dry tanned so does rittels EZ tan work well?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ez is the best JMO for what your doing. His tan can be used on any mammal but to get it soft the skin needs to be oiled and broken.

3. SloppyDoe

SloppyDoe Member

Kansas
    Thank you, I thought it would be good but wanted to check.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

A dry tan is a wet tan that has been broken (softened) as it dried. So, your EZ-100 tan will work for both. A wet tan is frozen or mounted before the breaking and drying. A wet tan can also be a dry tan that has been rehydrated, bringing it from dry to wet.

5. SloppyDoe

SloppyDoe Member

Kansas
    Thank you, I understand a wet tan would have to be dried and broken for a dry tan. I was concerned if the process would be safe for a rabbit since they seem really fragile. I guess it wouldn't make sense considering you can leave pelts in the pickle for awhile.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The tan should toughen them up quite a bit.