1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's On Your Workbench? May 2022

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by BrookeSFD16, May 1, 2022.

1. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I finally made the time to put another bird together. PXL_20220528_160211912.PORTRAIT.jpg

ARUsher, spurhunter, GotHonks and 4 others like this.
  2. GotHonks

GotHonks Well-Known Member

Almost get a chuckle when I see Brookes work .. it’s damn near perfection every time and one after another . She is that good folks .. I always wonder doe she ever have trouble with her mounts .. I mean .. I still do but usually self induced .. I’m sure she’ll be as humble as ever but like I’ve said a few times She is right there with the best of them .. and as busy as she is I’m not the only one that sees that .

3. GotHonks

Far from great mounts but these were killed back in 97/98 and 2000 , I couldn’t do much with them due to my buddy partially screwing them up prior to freezing them in a zip lock bag of water .. He poorly defatted , removed humerus bones and leg bones as well as the heads becuse he was a standing mount guy I’m not .. so I coulda spent hrs making them but chose to do what I could being I couldn’t de fat them myself due to the skin being so messed up from his attempts at wheeling the fat off .. not to mention they were turds to being with .. Just luck I was able to mount them I guess .. the wigeon isn’t to bad .. the Brewers .. boy too bad I couldn’t have defatted the head better but couldn’t get it to turn without tearing it .. Cus they did shrink up some .. kinda freezer burned eyelids screwed me on the eyes .. not happy bout it .. can’t fret to much I’d never figured I could mount them in the first place .. One thing for sure I’ve had three birds he froze in water for over 20 yrs all have feather loss much worse than normal .. they come out easy .. coulda been his defating job .. no telling
    AD5F6912-6FA4-41FE-8570-5E35E225A54F.jpeg

4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I struggle with every damn one! I keep thinking one day it'll get easier, but so far it's still a struggle.

I went to the Louisiana Show this weekend and competed in the "Cajun Challenge". You get 3 hours to assemble a bird. I barely made it happen. And of course it didn't turn out like I'd hoped. It also didn't win.

PXL_20220529_030648520.PORTRAIT.jpg

5. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

If you ain't struggling, then you ain't mounting! That's my new motto and I'm sticking to it!!

GotHonks and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  6. GotHonks

Thanks Brooke , glad I’m not the only one that feels that way .. congrats on the Blue Ribbon … that sprig was perfect
    And those Woodies shoulda won they’re great

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I really like this presentation!

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  8. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Well-Known Member

9AA8F2F4-F1EE-473A-87A6-C31B4B09EF24.jpeg If I ever run out of birds I’ll have time to finish my walls.
    Happy Memorial Day. Let’s take a minute to give tribute to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice so that we can enjoy our freedom.
    Blessings

9. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

IMG_20220531_060427_414.jpg

retriever5, ARUsher, GotHonks and 2 others like this.
  10. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Well-Known Member

Wally you keep putting out Turkeys like that your walls don't stand a chance. I can't imagine taking on all those big birds. Great job

11. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Well-Known Member

Can't imagine that Woodie didn't win? In three hours? Great job and congratz on winning Masters long overdue and well deserved

GotHonks, BrookeSFD16 and Wally Gator like this.
  12. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Well-Known Member

Thanks Critter. I’m just getting started. I currently have 27 turkeys in my shop, with 5 complete. One customer has about 5 more waiting for me. As you can see, I’m having to leave the birds on temporary stands because McKenzie hasn’t made the limbs yet. I only have two more forms left, again waiting on McKenzie. I have ordered two of Cally’s and will see how I like them, but they are very expensive to have shipped to me. When I have a large order at McKenzie I will pick it up…it costs $120 for two forms shipped from Cally’s. I may have to look at other brands but I really don’t want to.
    Blessings

GotHonks likes this.
  13. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

Very nice work Wally!