1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wildlife Paint

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Pikeonthefly, May 1, 2022.

1. Pikeonthefly

Pikeonthefly Active Member

I recently changed over to Wildlife paints and I purchased a Harder Steenback airbrush and I only intended on using this airbrush for the halos and spots on brown trout. The 2 work together pretty well painting halos but when I use the brush with the Burnt Umber after a few spots the cap flies off. My face covered in freckles I take the brush apart, clean everything, try it again and it's just rinse and repeat. The one thing I noticed about these paints is they are very sticky. Somehow the paint is flowing back into the push button area as well. This is a brand new brush. I tried thinning the paint a little but it seems like the brush is able to separate the colors from the thinning material as you'll see a clear spot with a thin line around it. It's frustrating. Any idea on what the issue(s) might be?

2. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Don’t get to wrapped up in brands, I have colors from all brands and items not known to be paints , and air brush is what works for you
    I was shown years ago by paul B the badger series
    Been with these ever since
    But that is what works for me
    And I’m not fond of water base paints “sorry Paul”
    But do use them when needed

3. Pikeonthefly

Thank you. I started with a Badger years ago. Thinking back, I think I did have some my best luck with it too. I liked the feel of it. Just a pencil shape nothing fancy and I don't remember having any problems. I was using Polytranspar then. I try to stay away from the laquer based paints because of the health concerns but then I end up taking a bath in it when I have to wipe the fish down and start over. Plus I'm not sure I'm good enough for lacquer yet. You make a mistake with those you're jacked.

Clew likes this.
  4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok are you using their thinner?
    Are you adding retarder to your paint?
    I’ve used their transparent base coat to thin the paints first. I always had an issue with his paint as to me it’s to heavy pigmented and needs lots of thinning for fish work.
    As far as lacquer vs waterbase on what’s healthier,, ahh it’s like this once airborne it’s all the same very hazardous so don’t think your being safer using water over lacquer just read the msda sheets on them. More or less safer to the skin than anything else and I don’t body paint myself ( though it might help) .

Clew likes this.
  5. Pikeonthefly

Thank you, Frank. Yes, I am using their retarder. I have not used their thinner. I think I used little too much retarder with their silver paints the first time around. She sprayed nice and the color looked beautiful, but it never fully cured. I was using Polytranspar and cheating a little bit. I would run a couple of drops of rubbing alcohol through the brush first and then add the paint. It worked great for a while and then started to clog so I dumped out the paint ran the alcohol through and started again. I wasn't sure if the alcohol would affect the paint but that fish has been completed with gloss and so far everything seems to be holding up well.

6. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Mike Orthober loved to use them but then again Mike could paint a great fish with mud

1fish2fish likes this.
  7. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Mike Vernelson as well.

I only have a couple of their colors and like them very much.

--------

OP, like any paint, getting the proper consistency for your airbrush and desired pressure is important. Thinning to the consistency of skim milk is the point of reference most often tossed about. From there work it to your desired pressure, lower pressure generally thinner than higher pressure, until you get it spraying as you like. I don't know what size needle your airbrush has, but paints with larger pigments often perform better with a medium to fine needle/tip vice ultra fine.

8. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

One word "Viscosity". The single most important reason for airbrush problems. The second one is " Cleanliness" or lack of it. Get these two right and you have the battle almost won. Third is "practice".

Mudbat likes this.
  9. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Watch the alcohol with his paints as you’re finding out clogging.
    This is an issue with a lot of waterbase paints as you can’t use the same thinners for all companies whereas lacquer is lacquer. Follow or use their products till you understand their paints and what works or doesn’t. Ammonia water works probably with all waterbase paints to thin but very sparingly.

10. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

I just started using rubbing alcohol for thinning WB paint on deer. So far it's a game changer compared to water. Will find out when I start painting fish.