1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fabric Earliners

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ShawnCrose, May 4, 2022.

1. ShawnCrose

ShawnCrose Member

For those of you that use fabric earliners do you ever have to trim them down to fit . And also what is the best hide past to use . It’s been some years since I’ve used earliners . Any comments would be appreciated

2. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Shawn, I have been making my own ear liners for years using Celastic material I buy in sheets. I first make a tracing from the actual ear on paper. You then cut that out and form it over your real ear making any adjustments on the paper tracing. Once your tracing replicates the ear you then transfer that to your Celastic material and cut it out. Note, you only need to do this on one ear since flipping it over will give you two identical cut outs, right and left. It is your choice then as to how you soften the ear cut out, via heat or the solvent method using acetone or lacquer. You then can manipulate the softened Celastic material to duplicate the ear shape, making final adjustments as it dries. When the liner has dried, insert that into the ear making a test fit. You can then cut, trim to get the best fit. I dremal the edges to taper, then beat the edges with a hammer leaving me with a thin crisp edge. I have always removed the cartilage on all species from Fox to Cape Buffalo. I insert the ear skin in acetone and prep my adhesive. I have always used Bondo and have for 50 years. The acetone dip preps the skin and will slow down the Bondo set up time. Invert the ear and coat it with your mixed Bondo, reinvert the ear skin moving it around to spread out the Bondo. You can now push the Celastic liner up into the ear and start pressing and shaping as you move towards the ear canal. When the Bondo turns rubbery, I again beat the ear edges with a hammer. The Bondo can be replaced with any adhesive of your choice as the fabric on the liner gives a superior bonding surface. Should any Bondo leak out and get on the hide or hair, it can easily be brushed out once it dries. IMO, Celastic material is one of the best ways to produce a strong natural lookin ear. Hope this helps, and have a great day

ARUsher and coroner2 like this.