1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

(resolved!) Tips On Skinning Skunks?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Crepuscular Creature, May 6, 2022.

1. Hello, my name is Raven, and I'm back with another question or two. So at one point, my mom was lucky enough to find a perfectly intact roadkill skunk, and she ended up picking it up for me. It's been in the freezer for a while now, but I took it out last night to thaw. My questions mainly revolve around the skunk's odor.

1) Is there a way to deodorize a skunk/eliminate the smell completely before I skin it?

2) I've heard many ways of how people make sure the skunk doesn't "dead spray" them, like super gluing the anus shut, or putting tissues/toilet paper in the skunk's anus. Is there a specific way I should do that, or could I follow nearly any advice?

3) Any tips on skinning around the anal sacs? I haven't been able to take a look at skunk anatomy before (which I'll be looking up before skinning the skunk), but is there a certain tip or technique to keep in mind?

4) I've never worked with a skunk before, so any other tips or techniques are 100% welcome! I'm used to skinning things like raccoons, opossums, squirrels, etc. so I'm no expert on skunks. (I will be wearing old clothes and all this "safety gear" (like safety glasses) just in case something goes wrong and I get "dead sprayed".)

Thank you in advance,
    Raven

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

You’re not going to desent it prior to skinning it only because of the glands and even sealing them won’t make much of a difference.
    You need to be very careful around the glands as one cut one press and lookout!!!
    Do it outside just in case you hit them. Then flesh, and I’ll place right into a citric pickle. Pickle for the three days, shave, and you can do some washes to get a lot of the sent out. Their are products you can use to help get it out. Tan and if any smell you can use pet products to get the rest out. Skunks are fun to mount but can be breath taking lol

Crepuscular Creature likes this.

3. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Don't