1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Grey Fox Skin Does Not Fit/wrap Around Form Torso

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by sel, May 6, 2022.

1. sel

sel New Member

Hi, this is my first time ever doing taxidermy, this is a pedestal mount of a grey fox. So im a complete beginner and have a lot of questions, but this is my main issue right now. I got this skin from eastcoastcapes and it came packaged with the form so when buying it, I assumed it would fit like a glove. But the skin is hydrated and fairly elastic, it fits fine everywhere except for around the torso/lower neck area. I've tried cutting the form down around but nothing seems to change, I also cleaned out most of the inside of the skin, and I'm afraid if I sew it up, the skin will tear apart in the back. Heres what I got--[​IMG] [​IMG]
    So please help me with this, with hopefully an easy solution (And tell me if Im doing anything wrong). God bless :)

2. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

From your pics, it looks like it is cut on both the back and the throat. Is that correct?

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Sew up the throat. Mark the form where the skin ends. Saw off the remainder of the form that skin doesn't cover. You will have more of a neck mount than a shoulder mount.

msestak likes this.
  4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

From the picture, it looks like a dry tan that hasn’t been completely re-hydrated and may be a little short for the form as Joey pointed out. Make sure it is thoroughly hydrated, stretch it out completely and then sew it up and mount as Joey described in his post.

msestak likes this.
  5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’d call where you bought it from and ask them .

msestak and sel like this.
  6. sel

sel New Member

Oh… on their website it is marked as a wet tan, but I guess I can work with either. But thanks, Ill do that!

msestak likes this.
  7. sel

sel New Member

Cool, sounds like a plan!!! Thank you very much

msestak likes this.
  8. sel

sel New Member

One more thing - will I still be able to saw it if there is a threaded bolt right in the bottom?

msestak likes this.
  9. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

yep...use a hacksaw and when you're done move out of California. that liberal crap hole is doomed.

George and tem like this.
  10. sel

sel New Member

LOL I plan on it

msestak likes this.
  11. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

lol...just teasing

12. Remember that like people, every animal is different and it's not 'one size fits all'. Form adjustments are a very common thing to have to do :)