1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Trimming Resin

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by e101011, May 7, 2022.

1. e101011

e101011 Active Member

earth
    I bought a pair of replica walrus tusks for a skull that came without tusks. However, the replicas are too thick at the base to fit into the opening in the skull. I tried to thin them out using rubbing alcohol, sandpaper, and a dremel grinder. Rubbing alcohol did nothing, sandpaper and the dremel worked a little bit but only negligibly and I wore out three grinders barely putting a dent in it, not to mention the mess that it makes. I only need to take it down about 1/8” around the circumference of the base and taper it down about 3”, but nothing I’ve tried works in a practical sense.
    Anyone have any methods or tips that could help? I don’t have much by way of powertools, and I live in an apartment so I don’t have like a tablesaw or anything. If there’s some kind of chemical solution rather than mechanical that is preferable, but I can figure something out either way.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

It may be possible to make a x cut down bout 4 inches with a hand saw then squeeze it together reducing the circumference to fit in skull opening, you can then fill in and blend your cuts away .

3. e101011

e101011 Active Member

earth
    So cut it on the inside rather than grinding it from the outside? Makes sense! Should I expect it to be flexible enough to not crack or split when squeezed? Would I have better results with a hacksaw or a regular wood saw?

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yes just as you cut down you have to go down enough so it is flexible when squeezed at top . Yes a hacksaw should be fine . After I got it to fit I’d pour 5 min epoxy down x cut and squeeze and zip strip the top together till it kicks and stays that way

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The tusk bases as they fit into the skull are also not completely round. They will be in a somewhat oval shape at the top with indentations particular to that individual socket. That may also be causing your fitting issue.

Try different sizes of rasp or files. Maybe even wood working chisels or spokeshaves.