1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Goat Horn Repair

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Jameytendstowander, May 9, 2022.

1. Jameytendstowander

Jameytendstowander New Member

NJ
    Long time stalker, first time poster - be gentle

Ok folks. I need to pick a brain or two. I am fairly new to repairing mounts and could use some advice. I recently purchase a goat rug that I am going to make a wall hanger. Here is my problem:

Everything was sound when I inspected it and brought it home. When I got home and I was bringing into my taxidermy room I laid it down on my table and one of the horns snapped off at the base ‍♀️ It appears that the original taxidermist used carpentry nails through the sheaths and into the cores. What would be my best way to repair this? Epoxy sculpt?

Any help is greatly appreciated. The goat isnt going anywhere, it will stay with me.

Thank you everyone! E5AD39DC-1D1E-462D-947F-F18DA041E66E.jpeg

29BA30D2-F809-4A6B-B0E9-2840DC4F4538.jpeg

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

I would probably fill it with liquid plastic or bondo and shape to fit. Then I would make with it the pin system to use to attach and epoxy in place.

3. Jameytendstowander

NJ
    Bondo in the holes, secure it with pins (it originally had nails) and maybe use some sculpt to make sure its extra secure? I would shape and paint the ES of course.

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I would use bondo. Fill the voids on both the skull and the horn base with just enough excess to blend together when you attach the two. Hold it in place until it sets up, clean up any excess on th3 hair with acetone and a small wire brush before it completely hardens.

5. Jameytendstowander

NJ
    Thank you so much! I will def do bondo. Just the regular filler type? Would you suggest adding pins or wire to secure it even more?

6. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

You could put a metal rod or thick wire, but with all the voids in different shapes, There is really no point IMO. Bondo and be done! You could add fiberglass strands to make it thicker so it doesn’t run so bad…it will help you have a little more control over the bondo, but that’s all I would do.

7. Jameytendstowander

NJ
    Great! Thanks again for the advice! Bondo it is. I’m allergic to fiber glass so thats out :(

8. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

You are far better off letting any bondo that gets on the hair kick into the rubbery state then brush out with a wire brush without using any acetone or lacquer thinner. It will brush right off the hair without any discoloration to the hair. Using any thinner to clean it from the hair is just spreading it around and breaking down the color in the hardener that could discolor that area. It will clean off the hair very easily once hardened without any ill effects or discoloration