1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Staining Elk Rack

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by dmac1175, May 9, 2022.

1. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I have done some staining of faded/bleached deer racks but I need to stain an entire elk rack that has been left outside to fade. I know that it only sounds logical to think that is just like a deer but bigger but I am looking for any helpful tips and advice.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Oil or waterbase oils work great

3. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Thin washes with potassium permanganate. You can easily adjust intensity with the water to powder mix. It goes on purple but turns to brown as it dries. It is absorbed into the antler and is not a surface colorant like paint, as well as a much more natural looking finish. Very easy application with a chip brush. If the antlers are sun bleached, it is best to sand with 220 sandpaper to remove any chalky residue. Hope this helps

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I use KMNO⁴ along with 50/50 linseed and turpentine. I'd swab on the potassium permanganate to the darker points and immediately brush on the oil. This "feathered" the harsh lines and let it bleed out into the rubbed areas. After it set a day, I rubbed the antlers in softened bee's wax and buffed them with a soft cloth ( I really used an old diaper but you younger guys would try Pampers if I said that.)

Frank E. Kotula likes this.