1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Questions For The Peta People

Discussion in 'Buyers and Sellers' started by old60furs, May 14, 2022.

1. old60furs

old60furs MO buyers license number is 2465. I need your #

I have lots of questions for the PETA people but will only pose a few. Like people of all walks of life and all capitalistic pigs and folks who pretend to care about life on our overcrowded rapidly shrinking spaceship, I am a hypocrite. I drive a car to name just one such trait.

PETA stands for people eating tasty animals in these parts. Shannon county is a rare place with 8000 residents, no traffic light or McDonalds and No PETA members that I know of.

Our main hobbies are gigging, canoeing, hunting, fishing and trapping so that explains a lot!

Question #1 Do you drive a car?
    Question #2 Do you buy clothes?
    Question #3 Do you own "things" that are made of metal, wood, or plastics?
    #4 Do you understand and appreciate the science of wildlife conservation?
    #5 Do you realize the difference between preservation and conservation and why, when, what, and where both are important to our future?
    I have lots more questions but these will do.

Time to go catch supper!

Marc

tem and kojak like this.
  2. old60furs

During the hunter education classes I teach to future wildlife harvesters while discussing ethics I tell the that nationally (not the same in our county) 5% of the population are hunters/trappers, 5% are antis and 90% are neutral. SO, what the neutral folks observe from the hunters/trappers is important.

3. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

yes to all your questions and no one harvests wildlife, we kill it, grill it and eat it. we didnt plant them so we cant harvest any of them...WE KILL THEM !!

can also tell the 90% if they dont like the fact that we kill to eat then they better start eating plants.

tem likes this.
  4. old60furs

MO had no deer and turkeys in the 1930's. Sound wildlife management led to success. We stocked turkeys, deer, otters, and elk acquired from other states. MO is pretty special. Biologists gather data to regulate the seasons. Legislators have no say in regulations, season dates and harvests. We have two state agencies, MDC and DNR.
    Voters imposed an 1/8 cent statewide sales on our citizenry in 1976 to assist with conservation education, land acquisition, and nongame species. Then in 1984 we imposed a 1/10th cent sales tax to assist DNR with parks and historic preservation and soil erosion. The DNR tax is voted on every few years and last time garnered over 80% of the vote and passed in every county!!

tem likes this.
  5. msestak

WOW...more states should do that. we have to be guardians of our wildlife.

tem likes this.
  6. It is called "American System of Conservation Funding". A percentage of the sales tax generated from firearms, ammo, hunting gear, boats, fishing gear, etc. go to USFWS and is distributed to different agencies across the US. Some states do have some more taxes added for their own additional funding. The USFWS collects around 8 million a day from those taxes, however it is slowly declining because we have a decline in sportsman that greatly contribute to that fund. So take someone new out hunting or fishing. We need more people to continue supporting our wildlife.

tem likes this.
  7. msestak

8. Yes, that one too. Pittman-Robertson act started everything, but a couple more have been added since. Check this site out. https://www.fishwildlife.org/afwa-informs/resources/american-system-conservation-funding . Bottom line, sportsman do more for conservation than any organization by a very large margin. That is not including private organizations like Pheasant Forever, Quail Unlimited, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, and countless others.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    tem and msestak like this.
  9. old60furs

The Pittman Robertson Act was a great start. It provides a tiny amount of the funding needed. Our MDC was funded by this act and license fees until the Design for Conservation 1/8 cent was passed in '76. The sales tax in very fair because everyone pays some to MDC. Hikers, campers, birdwatchers and all other outdoor enthusiasts are glad to pay a little. Go to the MO Conservation website and you will be impressed.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    tem and msestak like this.