1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Big Eye Tuna

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by JE, May 14, 2022.

1. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Any big eye tuna 74" nose to tail tip blanks anywhere ? (or maybe yellow fin I could alter )
    Thanks
    John

2. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Mike k has a 71” yellow fin

JE likes this.

3. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

John, I have about a dozen Big Eye molds but none that size. Many are caught off Ocean City, Maryland and are a prized catch since they require special fishing techniques. Good luck on your search

4. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

Kingsailfishmounts has a 74 inch yellowfin

5. crablover

John, be aware a Big Eye has a much more rounded body and larger head than a Yellowfin as well as eye size. The pec fin on a Big Eye is much longer as are the larger keels. IMO, it would take a lot of work to use a Yellow Fin and turn it into a Big Eye especially the body shape. Most Big Eyes come from deep cooler water on the east coast and are not as common as the Yellowfin. I would look for a Northeast blank supplier

6. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Coast to coast has a 76 big eye. 8 per inch raw.
    Wouldn’t even wanna know what shipping would run

7. crablover

I'll second Ryan's recommendation with Joe from Coast to Coast. He uses the traditional method in molding and casting and not the inferior bondo method. Montauk and Shinnecock Long Island have many charter captains that specialize in Big Eye tuna fishing since the canyon's are much closer to shore than many other Big Eye water's. Joe produces a quality product at a fare price and his blank shapes are very natural and realistic. This would be a good choice IMO and I don't feel you could find a better supplier for this species