1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Hide Slippage Or Shedding?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by washxc, May 18, 2022.

1. washxc

washxc New Member

USA
    Morning,

I'm a trapper and I've been having success with home tanning furbearers this year and decided to experiment on two deer hides. I've gone through the tanning and breaking process and it seems like the deer hides just aren't holding hair like my other critters. When I pull on the hair it does not come out, but when I brush my hand up and down the hide lightly I get an uncomfortable number of hairs. To the point where I wouldn't want to bring it inside and hang it over a chair. Do you think this is true slippage?

I do know there was at least one step I could have done better. I fleshed on the beam and then salted. But I got busy and waited a few days before scraping the salt off and salting again. There were some moisture spots that sat. The salted hides sat for a few months and then I rehydrated, pickled, neutralized, tanned with trubond 1000b, oiled, and then broke.

Thanks all!

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Probably not slipping at all as your probably break the hair off. Deer are hollow haired and won’t take a lot of abuse to break them.
    To know if it’s really some kind of slippage, look at the hair. If your seeing hair follicles then that is. If not then it was either shaved to close or normal breakage.

3. washxc

washxc New Member

USA
    Thanks Frank, very helpful. I did not know about those characteristics. Based on your description it makes sense that there was significant shedding because I was pulling on the hide to break the fibers in the leather.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.