1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Law Help? (pennsylvania)

Discussion in 'Training' started by VanadiumWolf, May 23, 2022.

  1. VanadiumWolf

    VanadiumWolf New Member

    Hi, I am an aspiring taxidermist from PA and I was wondering if anyone could provide me with easy-to-understand resources regarding federal and state taxidermy laws? Or possibly even explain them to me? I've tried reading the actual laws but find a lot of the wording confusing and at times I'm not sure what they are referring to. I would really like to start my own taxidermy business, but the laws are a huge hurdle for me to get over, and I would like to fully understand them before I even think about getting a license.
    Any help is very much appreciated.
    msestak and Robert Baker like this.
  2. 3bears

    3bears Well-Known Member

    contact the Penn. Taxidermy Association. there should be a link here on this site.

  3. jake7719

    jake7719 Well-Known Member

    PA Dept of Agriculture for your license to do the work. PA and locale business permits and tax ID # (can be your ss#). Registration of your businesses name or DBA paperwork. The FED FISH and Game license if doing ducks or any Federale regulated work or imported stuff.

    As for the PA game commission keep good records. Name, address, phone and license and permits. Tag all your stuff in the freezer (feds have their own regs and info requirements on specimen).

    If a VET, you have a lot of resources on starting up a business and most counties have a Small Business Association with a lot of free resources.

    At least you don't have to take a TEST anymore. good luck.
    msestak and socalmountainman like this.
  4. Penczak

    Penczak Active Member


    The thing that stands out the most. You have to give wildlife officials permission to go into your freezers or horns and hides at any given time. They ussually only come once a year, I'm pretty sure this is nationally.
  5. Far from the truth.
    They need a search warrant to do that,look up showers versus Spangler . In general if they ask for a certain name or look at log book and everything is marked and accounted for
  6. Frank E. Kotula

    Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

    Agreed at no time was the law able to come and search your shop without a warrant. You could let them if you would like but that is up to you and they could only search shop freezers only.
    Now that the PA ag took over they need to contact them first then come to your shop but I’ve had them come and pick up someone’s mess up and they only ask for that and nothing else so I work with them than being an ass to them as their not being an ass back. The person calls me says they’re coming for such and such lol and I’ll have it ready for them some coffee and we laugh at the fool for breaking the law. Never had a issue with them.
    Robert Baker, msestak, Clew and 2 others like this.
  7. 13 point

    13 point Well-Known Member

    You need a state taxidermy license for fur barriors and federal license for waterfowl. If you don’t plan on doing water fowl you don’t need the license.
    Robert Baker and msestak like this.
  8. moonshine

    moonshine Active Member

    Im in NY , you dont need one in the past you did
    Robert Baker likes this.
  9. msestak

    msestak Well-Known Member

    nope....no you dont.
    Robert Baker likes this.