1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Inherited These Hides/pelts - Need Help Identifying

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by BrandonValley, May 25, 2022.

1. BrandonValley

BrandonValley New Member

Kansas
    Everyone, hello. I inherited some pelts/hides. I would like to sell them, but I need to figure out what they are and what they might be worth. Some of them I can guess, but I wanted to post here to make sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Pictures are numbered in the top left corner.

Attached Files:

2. Gabby M

Gabby M New Member

1. Looks like an elk back hide
    2. Sheared beaver
    3. Almost looks like a lepord to me
    4. Red fox
    5. Bobcat
    6. Beaver
    7. Caribou/reindeer back hide
    8. Wolf/coyote. Hard to tell but should be easier given the size is put down
    9. Kangaroo
    10. Hard to tell. Mountain goat would be my guess

Keith, kojak and e101011 like this.

3. e101011

e101011 Active Member

earth
    i agree with all of gabby’s answers. value depends on venue… as there are many taxidermists here you may not get the best price. you can sell them online but of course there’s fees. look where you intend to sell them (ebay, for example) and see what they’re going for. be careful with the leopard though; you can’t sell that across state lines.

Keith and Bob like this.
  4. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

If that is a wolf, and I suspect it is, that also could be a legal problem selling.

5. e101011

e101011 Active Member

earth
    would depend on what state they’re in, but i think it’s a coyote anyway.

6. BrandonValley

BrandonValley New Member

Kansas
    Thanks for all the info. I am in Kansas. My relative was known to have some animals that were not legal to own, such as a taxidermy hawk. I voluntarily gave that to the fish and game for museum display.

The coyote/wolf is 46 to the end of the tale and about 16” wide at the hind end. Sounds like a coyote?

some things cannot be sold on eBay…is there any other venue out there?

I might be able to find someone local. I want somebody to feel like they got a decent deal. Where can I research prices?

7. SloppyDoe

SloppyDoe Member

Kansas
    Once you find values of your furs, let me know what you might be asking for. I am also in Kansas, west of Wichita.

8. SloppyDoe

SloppyDoe Member

Kansas
    But you can search on eBay and Etsy for prices as I've seen beaver, coyote, fox, and even caribou online on those sites. I would love a caribou hide, been looking for one. I'm intrigued by what seems to be a leopard too but I probably can't afford that!

9. BrandonValley

BrandonValley New Member

Kansas
    have had a few people reach out to me in Kansas, but no takers yet. I can ship as well in case anybody has any interest in any of these pelts. I am in Wichita if you happen to be passing nearby or live in the area. thanks!

10. Hi! I PMd you