1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cwd / Feed Ban/ Worried!!!!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by buckfever*, May 26, 2022.

1. This fall the first case of cwd was found in Louisiana. Unfortunately my parish.
    We start a 3 to 5 year feed ban conservatively, realistically 5 to 7 years.
    I really concerned about a high drop in my intake of deer heads. I feel think the bottom is gonna fall out. No one here knows how to hunt anymore without feeding. My average intake, just deer sho. Mounts is 200. Another 100 of skulls .Needless to say that's my majority of income.
    I'm thinking at best 50 to 60 this fall in heads.
    Any of you guys have this to happen in your area? If so are my concerns legitimate?
    Even if this hasn't happened in your area what's your opinion?

msestak likes this.
  2. qltycapes

qltycapes Active Member

Don’t worry, had it in Wisconsin for years along with the county by county bait bans, I think 90% of state is now no baiting or feeding. Guess what …. you won’t loose any business deer will get shot, the baiters will still bait, the feeders will still feed. The only thing that will slow baiting is the cost of corn.

AFTHUNT, Keith, Ron B and 1 other person like this.

3. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Feeders were only legalized 2 years ago here. Funny how 99% of all the deer always had corn in them even before it was legal. I think CWD is a money racket anyway. Its been around for so long and hasn't wiped out the deer herds anywhere. if they are going to spend the money on something I wish they would spend it on EHD! That crap can take out 50% in one summer!

livbucks likes this.
  4. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

When I was doing taxidermy full time I was 12 miles just outside the CWD quarantine zone, so everyone inside the quarantine zone couldn't bring deer that were not caped off. I along with other taxidermist had to meet customers, or have drop off locations inside the quarantine zone, and cape them off before bringing them to the shop, it was a pain in the ass. Im sure I lost work over that. Here it was better to be inside the quarantine zone rather than out, except they dump more doe tags in the zone.
    Never could bait here in PA.

livbucks likes this.
  5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

People still gonna feed and do what it takes to lure in deer. Green patches may become more prevalent. I take in the same number of deer as you, but am in a non-CWD area. Last season the state paid $10 per deer to collect lymph nodes and 1 jaw bone from each deer. I collected 245 samples. That’s $2450 in taxable income which cost me very little time. All samples were negative.

magicmick likes this.
  6. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

The banned it a couple years ago here in MI and any of my friends that do deer saw no slow down. One thing it did do in northern Michigan is really hurt the wild turkeys that the feeding helped get through the winter months.

7. Ron B

Alabama
    Holy crap...did we get ripped! We pulled hundreds and hundreds of CWD samples and the State didn't pay us $#!t. I may bring this up next season!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

magicmick likes this.
  8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Shoot a couple years ago I was directed to collect samples and our DNR would pick them up. You can guess what happened. After a month of no contact, I contacted them and they said they were no longer collecting samples, what a friggen joke. I will no longer do so unless, paid in advance.

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Dats' Money, Dude!!! I have a couple of high school kids that help me. I gave each of them $500 when I received the check. They said next year, every roadside deer will be headless!

livbucks and magicmick like this.
  10. Ron B

Alabama
    Man oh man!! We run 3000 deer a year through this place! At $10 a head somebody I know is going moose hunting in the Yukon!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:
    I am going to show this thread to my biologist buddies right now!!!!!!!!!!!

However...I will say that they did give me an Out Door Edge field dressing kit as a show of appreciation. Of which I already have like five!:rolleyes:

Cheap ass bastards!:mad::mad::mad::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

livbucks, magicmick and drob like this.
  11. I guess you would really be made if I tell you lwl&f are putting a carport cover with freezers under it, on my property. And paying me a 100.00 a month to do so. For the public to drop off heads for testing. For the next 5 years. And some $ im not sure what to remove those lump nose glands.

12. Ron B

Alabama
    Yes...I would be very mad! I am feeling very used right now!!:(:(:mad::mad: Like a whore who has not been payed for services rendered!

13. Was
    Ok I want mention any thing about it o_O

14. Ron B

Alabama
    Rest assured I have sent this thread to my biologist buddies! Gonna be some changes made!!!!!!!!

15. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I voluntarily collected them for three years before the payment plan came about. I wondered if there was going to be a payment. The last samples were picked up on February 7, I didn't receive a check until April 30. Not all hunters want their deer sampled. I'm close to the AL line, and a lot of deer come from that area. The county of harvest is required on the sample collection form. I pick up deer from processors, and they have no clue where the deer came from. Those cannot be collected unless the hunter tells the point of origin, and it has to be within the state lines.

16. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

What If you get more in and not less?

17. Like not bathing ever, and get more chicks.