1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Using Bondo For Setting The Skull Caps On Deer

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by woakley144, May 26, 2022.

1. tem

tem Well-Known Member

to put in the ears?

2. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

In the skull cap. Also tonight is to use bondo instead of ear liners

woakley144 likes this.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Antlers set in body filler will not move. I set all the antlers on my deer before turning them over to my son to mount. They make a 300 mile round trip, and get bumped around in the process. Never had an antler come loose. Mache is great for in-house use. But in removing and reattaching the antlers, its possible to break into pieces. Body filler only for me. Set time is very rapid in our current heat wave!

Clew, woakley144 and MrThugsBunny like this.
  4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I get what saying , but I use mache and I fill the brain cavity also , I cut my rack to fit then I put a pcs of clear wrap on form , fill BC set rack screw in place with 1 screw but have all 3 in place , mache skull plate/rack in place and start prepping cape . Once it kicks off , I back the one screw out and the solid skull m/rack just pops off and fits back perfectly, all my capes are very short Y cuts so after I pull cape over I set rack back down and run all three 3 screws down . Sorry bondo is great but very expensive for this use .

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The cost of bondo on my deer scalps is 1/600 of the price of the mount. If I used mache, it would probably be 1/2400! Either way, the customer pays for it...hopefully!

woakley144, George and 13 point like this.
  6. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Bondo works great, A thin layer over the antler cape and on the inside can work to hold antler together, plus add that bit of filler in areas. Then a larger mass of mache can be used as just fill, surrounded by bondo to do the final set on the deer form or even on other antlered critters. Which comes back to making the antlers easier to place when mounting.

7. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Westcoast

I tried using the bondo caulk to sculpt ear butts, didn't work as well as I thought it would.. maybe if you let it start to kick then sculpt with a rasp you could get the definition in the ears.... Clint Ricky used apoxy sculpt to form the ear butts.

Yes it will smooth to the manikin when I set the skull cap I will rasp to form to the manikin

8. Westcoast

Westcoast Well-Known Member

Woakley144, If you first dip your fingers in either Dawn/water or Windex you can sculpt it pretty nice. You can do the same with 75% dry foam. Epoxy sculpt will most definitely work as well but it’s just way too expensive.