1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Nyala

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by crablover, May 30, 2022.

1. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

First mount of a 11 animal African safari. All tanned by Keystone Fur Dressing Nyala 1.jpg Nyala 1.jpg Nyala 3.jpg Nyala 3.jpg Nyala 1.jpg Nyala 2.jpg Nyala 3.jpg Nyala 1.jpg Nyala 2.jpg Nyala 3.jpg

13 point, Dwb5 and ARUsher like this.
  2. crablover

don't no why it posts double picture

3. Axishunter

Axishunter New Member

Gorgeous cape on that bull. Did you do have to do any restoration on the horns of that animal? My Nyala's horns look like badly burnt charcoal, not at all like they did in the field.

4. crablover

Axis, yes, it was a prime animal with a flawless cape. Keystone also does a fantastic job on there African wet tans. Near perfect shaving and great stretch on the cape. I supply my customers with a field preparation sheet that allows them to follow behind the trophy's handling after the kill. If they use and follow my recommendations, many of the problems that the taxidermist has to deal with can be minimalized.

As far as the horn, I advise multiple soakings in hot water rather than a continuous long boil, as well as the number of animals in that soaking. This cuts down the amount of grease and fat in that soaking. Should my customer want, I supply them with Sal Soda to add in the breakdown of the grease and fat.

The dark curling areas are caused by over boiling in a vat of to many skulls and horns. All the grease and fat from those skulls are absorbed by the horn sheath leaving them greasy, very dark and lifting around the sheath growth rings. When I receive the dry skull and horn, it is once again simmered with TSP (tri sodium phosphate) added to the bath. A clean bath is made 3 or 4 times eliminating most residual grease and fat. The horn is then run on a fine wire wheel cleaning the horn surface. By this time, much of the true horn color should show it's natural finish. I do not do anything else to the horn's. Hope this helps and have a great day

5. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Nice work.

6. ARUsher

ARUsher Well-Known Member

Very nice!

7. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Looks great