1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Doing A Bird Head And Neck Mount?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by RunaFox, May 31, 2022.

1. RunaFox

RunaFox New Member

Hi everyone,

I have a really nice pheasant that I picked up by the road. Head and neck are perfect. Wings are great for craft, but the body is... beyond my skill since it's squished.

I know how to mount a full bird and to wire it, but how would I go about not wasting the head and neck by mounting that? I know how to clean the skull and wire it to the false neck foam thing, but how do I go about attaching that to the wall plaque thing on which I'd like it to sit. Hot glue, maybe? I don't want to waste what I could use to practice on, and I'll be preserving the wings and framing them (sadly it's lovely long tail was also squished and is broken).

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks, R.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Run your neck wire through a hole in the plaque you predrilled to a little larger than the wire bend it over to the plaque and stable it down or run a drywall screw into the hole against the wire to lock it down.

Penczak and RunaFox like this.

3. RunaFox

RunaFox New Member

Oh that sounds really easy! Thank you for the advice. I can't wait to get started on it!

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  4. Penczak

Penczak Active Member

You can order new tail feathers if you need to. It's pretty common to add tail feathers whilst mounting a pheasant.
    [​IMG]

5. RunaFox

RunaFox New Member

I didn't know this either! I'm learning so much. Do you glue them into place?

The picture you added is beautiful. Amazing colours!

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Most of the birds I do for myself are breast mounts.

7. CJMartin

CJMartin Member

i happen to have tails for sale. Contact me if you want one.

RunaFox likes this.