1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cow Skull #2

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Tnrandy, May 31, 2022.

1. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

We did one last year and it didn't turn out great. Never could keep the skull middle joint together. Other than that it turned out ok.

This is our second attempt...instead of warm water maceration we opted to just leave the skull unskinned in a couple garbage bags and put it under a rubbermaid water trough. We put it under the trough in December and removed it this weekend. It came out nice and clean and the middle joint so far is still together. I have it soaking in ammonia and water now, and plan to do that for a few weeks before we whiten...I'll post those pictures later.

Attached Files:

• cow.jpg
      cow.jpg
      File size:
      155 KB
      Views:
  2. Penczak

Penczak Active Member

It's looking good.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    zip strips to hold everything together.

4. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

I actually tried this on the first skull and used clamps and glue for wet areas. If I set the skull in warm water it would go back together but as it dried it would come a part. I just never could get it to stay together. So far this one is together so I'm hoping it will stay that way throughout the rest of the process.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Once complete with degreasing and whitening I put zip strip on while it dries to hold it close. After dry I will wrap string around it and twist it tight and then glue the sutures with elmers glue and let dry. Every skull I do gets this same treatment. I dislike loose rattling skulls. I charge on average twice what others around me do and get more euros than I would rather do because some customers appreciate quality.

Sea Wolf and Tnrandy like this.
  6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I have used everything from furniture clamps to twisted rope/string/twine like 3 Bears mentions. Did you leave the horn caps on it that whole time as well?

7. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

Yes, while in the bag I left them on. They slide right off when I removed the skull from the bag.

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Curious if they had any damage or deterioration after all that time. Normally, when bagging a horned head, the horns become loose after several days and are removed then while the rest of it finishes. Cattle horns are tough but is any of the surface peeling after that?

9. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

No actually they looked really good to my surprise. I'll post some after pictures in a couple more weeks.