1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Problems Rehydrating Commerically Tanned Coyote Skin

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Northern Bird taxidermist, Jun 1, 2022.

1. I was wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to them, any help would really apprechiate. I shot a coyote, skinned fleshed it out right away and salted it. I sent it to get tanned at a tannery. I got the skin back in the end of January of this year. I rehydrated the skin today and to my surprize the skin easly tore very easy and also noticed that the tannery had blown out one of the ears badly. I tried to sew it back but the stitches did not hold that well. The other ear also tore as soon as I started working on it. I have never had this happen on a fresh tanned skin. Also when I nailed the skin around the rug form the skin started pulling through. DSC_0021.JPG DSC_0028.JPG I have been doing professional taxidermy for over 30 years now and never had this problem. I am thinking that they did not tan it properly or over processed it . Any info in why this happened would really apprecaite it.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Questions first before anything.
    How was it hydrated
    Type of tan used.
    How was it stored
    That might help us more to answer cause their could be a few reasons