1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painting Spots On Fish???

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by tmdennis, Jun 23, 2022.

1. tmdennis

tmdennis New Member

I'm using an Iwata siphon feed, double action, water base paints. Beginner here and I know it takes practice but is there a general 'rule of thumb' or ratio of thinner to paint for painting spots {like trout}. I keep getting 'star burst', spatter! I've played with air pressure, different thinner mediums and I just cant seem to get it! What medium works best for you all, and a good ratio starting point, {drop to drop}? Thank you so much for any advice.

2. Denton Shearin

Denton Shearin 2009-Breakthrough Award, McKenzie Award,

I like lacquer best myself, but it sounds like you may have your paint too thin.
    Also, exactly what model Iwata do you have?
    If it's one of the lower cost ones, you may want to think about upgrading to the HP line.
    I couldn't paint spots worth a hoot till I got my first Iwata HP-BC brush.
    Hope this helps.

3. Denton Shearin

Sorry I didn't answer all your question.
    You need to experiment with the thinner to get the right ratio.
    With lacquer, my experience is about 10 to 20 per cent thinner. Not sure for water base, but I would start there and work up till you find the right mix.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

In lacquer paints, use retarder, not thinner.

woakley144 and Wally Gator like this.
  5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

First off it’s more difficult to get great spots with a syphon fed cup compared to gravity fed not saying you can’t but I get it as I have both and been there done that.
    With a syphon fed cup your air pressure needs to be higher cause it needs this to bring up paint to the tip. My pressure on any of my brushes is set at 33 psi and I design my paint to this.
    You’re probably thinning the paint out to much for detail work.
    As for what’s used will depend on your humidity and temps. I’ll use with lacquer some retarder 2-6 drops and acetone instead of thinner as it makes the paint molecules smaller and flows the paint better.
    If you’re using water base then read what is needed to thin them out cause it can vary depending on the company.
    Next with your Iwata take the tip ( cone) off and expose the needle and get closer to your work. Do this on the back side and now play with air pressure plus your thinners and retarder till you find a mix that works for you.

Clew and Westcoast like this.
  6. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Yes to pressure and thinning experimenting as stated. Some water based paints like rubbing alcohol and some only water and the alcohol screws it up. Watch it taking that cone off, my needle point bends just looking at it?

Denton Shearin likes this.
  7. Denton Shearin

My thinner is retarded. And according to my wife, so am I.

8. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Frank got it dead on

Or
    Draw them on with brushed / sticks / pastels / pearl essence /
    Make up / what ever makes it look real.
    LOL
    LOL