1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rooster Mounting Questions

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Unearthed Remains, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Hi. I got in a pet rooster to mount and I have a couple questions because I have never mounted a bird this large before.

So I'm gonna be using masters blend and I'm ordering the large game bird form from van dykes. When using masters blend, do you still need to wire the feet? I'm assuming you would. I feel like it's a silly question.

Also, all the rooster heads on the market don't match this rooster's comb and wattles. This is a pet so I want it to at least somewhat match. I'll attach a photo of it below. So I'm wondering if I could just inject his comb and wattles with masters blend and formalin?
    20220622_195308.jpg
    [​IMG]

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yes you do.

3. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

If that's a pet and it's not your pet you might want to put off mounting it till you have a little more experience with birds. People get real picky when it comes to pets. Make sure you have a big deposit too or paid in full. That way they can't back out when they see the results. Even if it turns out great they might think differently when it doesn't walk and strut and act like the pet they remember.

Wildthings likes this.
  4. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I have used Balmex to inject combs that were unusual and no available artificial heads of that size. I would inject it every day throughly until it was dry. I’ve also cut combs off and cast them separately then glued to skull.

Wildthings likes this.
  5. Stay far away from formalin and masters blend ,that stuff will kill you . Nobodies mount is worth the sickness and health degradation down the road . There are far better,easier,quality and cheaper methods out there . You don't need cancer or mesothelioma or a liver transplant because of taxidermy .

6. Kastaway

Kastaway Taxidermist, Pioneer of Freeze Drying 1969

socalmountainman likes this.
  7. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Well-Known Member

PSU where you going to share your "other methods" with us? You shot down two proven products and the replacements would be? Worth mentioning is respirators and ventilation fans are important when using many of the things taxidermist use. Paints and sanding forms for instance not good for you so be smart.

MRN likes this.
  8. There's lots of other methods . You'll have to do research and development yourself . Takes alot of time and money to do those things. I wouldn't just give that Info out for free. Those methods you spoke of are proven to cause cancer and shorten your lifespan drastically. One method is mold and cast your legs or find another medium to inject into the legs .

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

How much do we owe you for that?

MRN likes this.
  10. My birthdays this month . If you send a card with 10 bucks that'll get me to the ice cream shop and get a cone .

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

In this day and age it will take all that $10 to get that ice cream cone.

12. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Well-Known Member

That's the answer I expected! LOL wise beyond your years. Happy Birthday my friend :D

13. Thank you all for your help! I informed the person beforehand that I haven't mounted a large bird before but I would be willing to go through with it. To my surprise, she was okay with that.

I work with formalin all the time for wet specimens, so I have the proper equipment to stay safe. Thanks for your concerns!