1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New To Sales And Would Like Advice.

Discussion in 'Buyers and Sellers' started by Mary James, Jul 2, 2022.

1. Mary James

Mary James New Member

Hi everyone,

I am new to sales of skins, mounts, rugs, etc....

My husband and I joined this forum to sell a very nicely preserved Polar Bear Rug Mount and yet although I posted it and feel like I gave as much information as possible, I am not sure how to promote this item.

Any advice would be great......I have not included a price because frankly I didn't know if I should or maybe just have people private message me to determine the cost for the rug mount and shipping?

See my post in For Sale items - Polar Bear

Thank you,

Mary James

msestak likes this.
  2. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

1) Post several photos of the item. (Close ups of the face especially)
    2) State what methods of payments you accept.
    3) Tell where you are located.
    4) Leave a phone contact number.
    5) How old is the mount?
    6) Know whether it is legal to sell from your state and to be shipped to another state.
    7) Post your asking price.
    8) Respond to inquiries within a reasonable time frame.
    9) Use you phone to text additional photos if need be.
    10) Be aware there are a lot of tire kickers on here who will waste your time if you let them!
    11)Follow the forum rules. Don't bump your thread for seven days even if someone posts on your thread. Use the Private Messaging system on here. Thank you!

Best of luck with your sale.

Vic

msestak, Mary James and Rausch like this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Great advice given there . That said you must remember you are trying to sell a mounted item to people that mount animals for a living or income . Most taxidermist don’t want someone else’s mount. We pride ourselves on our own mounts and most don’t or won’t display someone else’s work in there show room . You would most likely be better off trying to sell on EBay or such . Hope that helps some , Goodluck on your sale .

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As for your bear, it is legal to sell but you can not ship it out of California for any reason. It must be sold to a resident of California that shows a license showing that they are a resident or some other documentation. It is up to you determine proof of residency and that it is legally documented. You will be disappointed to find that polar bears bring short money because of this. A bear like that will be under $2000. Not the tens of thousands that you may think it is worth. You might do better to list it in the local papers sale sections or on Craigslist. Also make sure you check California law as to the sale and possession of bears. You might find that you can't sell it at all. Ca is one of the worst states with their wildlife laws.

5. Mary James

Mary James New Member

Thank you for your message and I have done most of the things you suggest except for a price as we are researching what that might be by looking at comparable rug mounts.
    Much appreciated,
    MJ

msestak and pir^2h like this.
  6. Mary James

Mary James New Member

The bear is located in Oregon not California as we do not want to take it from our parents house. It is not legal to post this kind of animal rug on Ebay or Craigslist and that is why I posted on here.

I appreciate your information - we are still researching the price and have determined authentication and it has been in our family since the 1950s.

Thank you,
    MJames

msestak likes this.
  7. Mary James

Mary James New Member

Thank you for the information. It makes sense that most of the folks on here may not be interested but they may know someone that is interested and that is why I posted the bear on here versus Ebay or Craigslist where it is illegal to post and they will take your listing down within seconds of posting it - that is what they told me.

Thank you for your candor and knowledge of this site,
    MJames

msestak likes this.
  8. Take people's advice with a grain of salt. Theres alot of taxidermist that would love a piece of work and history like that. Right now you can't get polar bears I'm the USA imported. So nobody will likely ever come across one in their life unless we get someone to change the law. I believe you'll get more than 2 thousand for it . Find the right person who knows their stuff or appreciates it, you'll sell it. If your legally able to get it across state lines I could tell you you'll get 4-5 grand easy depending on condition . But it's all in condition . Does it have acid rot, dermistid beetles, moths cracking etc ? I've come across this one other time in life in person and I kick my self every day for not taking the chance and getting it . If you need the money sell it . If not and you have no interest in natural history or the work sell it . There's alot of guys that buy and sell this kind of stuff . If it was me and in nice shape I wouldn't let it slip for less than 5 thousand . Generally taxidermy is in eye of beholder and worthless but I've seen what some things go for and how you make many contacts and find the right buyers .

msestak and Mary James like this.
  9. Penczak

Penczak Active Member

Depending on the quality of the tanning that leather can or will start to fall a part like wet toilet paper. I re-done a Polar Bear rug for the owner of Alaskan Airlines his was killed in the late 50s or early 60s.
    We had to take the felt off with much care as it was falling apart in baseball size pieces.
    You're not going to be able to buy a car for what it's worth.

Some of the bigger cities have Gallerias where all the rich go to shop. Maybe you can put it on consignment there. But do check the laws. Some over zealous game warden might give you a hard time.

10. Sea Wolf

Precisely. Your advice for them to attempt to do something illegal is foolish and ill informed. The bear has no "history". It was not mounted by Jona's Bros. It was repaired by them in 2014 and that was probably in NY where they are now and where they have also repaired two of my own.

msestak likes this.
  11. Sea Wolf

You can not use Ebay to sell it, that is true. Ebay is based in Ca and too many possibilities for illegalities there. I would suggest a newspaper ad in a paper that has the largest circulation possible. Also to look online and fine the area auction houses that will auction it for you. This is not Ebay but actual real auctions. Most will take the hide on consignment and sell it for you. You can probably set an amount that you will not sell it for if a lesser amount is bid on it but that might also prevent it's sale. Miller & Co. Auctioneers and Rogue Oregon Auctioneers are only two. There are many more in the state and that probably would be the best way for it to get the most attention.

12. Mary James

Mary James New Member

Thanks for your comment and information. This bear is in excellent shape and the felt was redone by Jonahs Bros about 10 years ago with them saying it was a great tanning job originally which made for a very nice rug mount. It is not falling apart. in fact the hair is perfect and it is in great shape nothing falling apart.

MJ

msestak likes this.
  13. Mary James

Mary James New Member

Thank you for this information - much appreciated!

MJ

msestak likes this.
  14. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Mary:
    You have received great advice. However, you are "grazin' in po' pasture" trying to sell an expensive item on this site. It we had any money, we wouldn't be taxidermists!

15. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Be Honest even if it costs you.

Mary James and msestak like this.
  16. I'm not telling them to do anything illegal nothing was foolish or Ill informed . The advice of an auction house is garbage . You'll get pennies. Better bet is to make contacts with folk if you can get talking the to usfws and find out what you can and can't do. I'll help you sell it if your alllowed to . Contact your local usfws (United States fish and wildlife service) office they are the rule makers on this stuff and can tell you what you can and can't do .

msestak likes this.
  17. TaxTheDeadLover

TaxTheDeadLover Member

USA
    Hmmm…not sure if I’m too late but The Taxidermy Store sells them (full body polar bear rug with face mount) for $19,000 - 32,000. I also saw another seller here trying to sell a polar bear too. Of course, in my opinion The Taxidermy Store overcharged by at least 2 times but that range should give you an estimate. I saw another online store that sold one for $9,700 +

18. Penczak

Penczak Active Member

But her's is a baby one

19. TaxTheDeadLover

TaxTheDeadLover Member

USA
    Oh then deck it down by a couple thousands. $6,000 + I guess for the baby