1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning Chemicals Bad?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by washxc, Jul 6, 2022.

1. washxc

washxc New Member

USA
    I'm relatively new to tanning hides and have been using a citric acid pickle and either an aluminum sulphate soak or Trubond 1000B paint on. I've had a few conversations lately where the other party has sort of thumbed their nose at "chemical tanning" as being unsafe for people and the environment. Sort of like there's a stigma attached that I don't know much about. The aluminum sulphate is literally made to be poured into the soil for blueberries and azaleas so i can't figure on that having much of an environmental impact. I honestly am not sure what's in Trubond but it's a paint on so I don't have any waste. I usually dump the citric acid pickle on my driveway to kill the weeds, which it does, but I don't see it having any unintended environmental consequences. What am I missing? Both times I had the conversation the other party was more into brain tanning for environmental and health reasons.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

To find out what issues are ask for a msda sheet . Personally if they were bad for the environment there would be warning on the labels as how to dispose of the products like other tans have like chrome tanning.

Morris Custom Hides likes this.