1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How To Clean Fish Bones After Beetles?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by goat22, Jul 8, 2022.

1. goat22

goat22 New Member

I got a dermestid beetle colony and for my first bones I decided to do a fairly large fish. (Yes I know this is a difficult one to start with) They cleaned the bones pretty well, but left some scales and fins intact. I've never cleaned any bones before so I'm pretty lost on what I do next. My goal is to fully articulate it and most of the bones are still together. Soap and water? Acetone? Any advice would help! Thanks!

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Honestly, you should put that one aside and try again with another fish. You have to skin the fish and remove as much of the flesh as possible without damaging any bones. Dry the skeleton for a day and then put it in with the bugs. They should do a good job and it will all be together if you do not leave it in too long. If you want to try and salvage what you have, I would lay it out on clean paper (newspaper) and mist it with water. Cover it over with some plastic and let it sit until it has softened. Carefully pick off the remaining scales and bits of skin. If you want to try and pose it, you can do this while it is softened and make it stay in place with pins until it is dry. Then you can put it in a container and cover it with acetone and leave it for a couple of weeks at least to try and remove and oils that are in it. The acetone will not soften or change the bones.

3. fogbound

fogbound Member

Excellent suggestions for fish. They have some special steps required for quality rearticulations.