1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beetle Frass As Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by joeym, Jul 11, 2022.

1. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Cleaned out my dermestarium a while back and kept the frass. This stuff is HOT! I’ve learned to use it sparingly, since I killed 6 tomato plants with it. My goal wasn’t to have an organic garden, but I have one this year! 909D4995-47C5-4E23-88CE-C5711A804932.jpeg 8E99AD6C-D59A-4A7E-AC28-5F5E6D538838.jpeg

Clew and Tnrandy like this.
  2. Boneyard Beetleworks

Boneyard Beetleworks New Member

I too have been using it in my garden. Had a lab analyze the frass:
    N 15%
    P 1.8%
    K 1.6%

Sea Wolf, Clew and joeym like this.

3. PA

PA Well-Known Member

I used it once on my apple trees, but the odor bothered me for some reason, so I just throw it out.

I am surprised your yellow squash and zucchini are just coming in now. My yellow squash began at least two weeks ago and zucchini not far after, and I'm in the northern climate. I froze up 9 pints of them on Sunday and made 6 loafs of Zucchini bread and froze it also. I often just take a loaf out in the fall hunting and a thermos, and it sustains me well.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

My two high school helpers planted the garden on May 20. We’ve been gathering squash, okra, and cucumbers for about a month now.

5. fogbound

fogbound Member

I have been using my frass in the garden for years as well. It IS hot and has to be used very sparingly!