1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Skull — Boil/simmer Method?? (help Asap??)

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Honey the Bean, Jul 13, 2022.

1. GP1419

GP1419 Active Member

I just use another plastic tote like the one on the floor in your picture and set it on top upside down for cover.

2. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

I do it the fish tank heater way. This buck had hair/skin dried all over, was hit by a car. It was a target buck of ours and a buddy found it driving down the road. He was on camera every day/night until Oct. 10th, then gone. He had two roads to cross before he got o our spot. He was also a fighter, he had one eye, a gash on his hip, a broken nose and multiple old scars.
    It didn't take that long, there was some stink involved, a lot of stink. After less than a month it was clean, 3/4 of the water was changed once 1/2 way. Then a clean water/dawn soak for a few days. Then air dried completely in front of fan then 40% peroxide soak for two days. Not one hint of a stinky rotten deer and nice and white.

PIC85.JPG
    P1100275.JPG
    P1100277.JPG P1100278.JPG
    P1100280.JPG P1100334.JPG

P1100344.JPG P1100356.JPG P1100363.JPG

Attached Files:

Tnrandy, tem and Honey the Bean like this.

3. That’s really beautiful, wow! ❤️

I have yet to get my hands on some good peroxide... I was told that, what, “sauna/jacuzzi cleaner” or something like that is pretty much the same thing...? (But not to tell them it’s for bones LOL)

So far, I only have 3% which... well, it works on small stuff, but I have the two deer, two sheep and goat that are in the process of maceration, (which I’m hoping works..), and I have a sheep, a goat and a small deer from previous times that just need some cleaning up, probably a dawn soak, and then they’re ready for a peroxide soak too.

I have a few other questions about some skulls, but should I start a new post about them..?