1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Trickle Filter Tanning

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by MrThugsBunny, Jul 17, 2022.

1. MrThugsBunny

MrThugsBunny New Member

Has anyone tried to use a trickle filter, for moving water while tanning? I have wondered if a setup like this, would help with keeping the water agitated enough to help the tanning process. I used to build my own trickle filters, for a bait shop I ran, and if built right, it can really move some water and keep the water moving. I get the concept of a wet barrel, the hides are consistently being moved. The filtering would only be moving water, keeping it stirred. I'm not looking for a faster way to tan, but just maybe get a better overall tan, and not have to stir with a paddle. The one thing I was concerned of is when the water drops back into the tank, it picks up lots of oxygen, that is why it's such a great thing for large fish tanks, it creates top water movement, gives more oxygen to fish, and when used with a porus filter media it creates beneficial bacteria. My thought is not to add the media, I'm just using the method to created like a waterfall, so the water, just constantly cycle from the pickle tank, up through a tube, and pours back in tank, creating constant water movement. I hope I don't get slammed for this, or laughed at. I'm just curious if anyone thinks it would be helpful.

Deadduck likes this.