1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fluid Disposal

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Bowman_bob, Jul 17, 2022.

1. Bowman_bob

Bowman_bob New Member

Hey guys, just wondering what some of you do for getting rid of your pickling/and or tanning solutions when pouring it down the drain isn't an option. My house has a tank and field septic system so drain disposal isn't an option.
    Looking for ideas or suggestions,
    Thanks!
    Bob

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

You’ll have to get a container to hold them and then have that pumped out.
    Your best option is talk to your township, city board on disposal of your products. I know a person who got cited and fined for dumping used salt on his property that is in the bonnies so be careful on what you do cause so many do it illegally.

13 point and Keith like this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Neutralize it back to 7.0 and pour out in a gravel area . I would not in any way ask the town ship and or bring attention to myself, that would be opening a can of worms you might not be able to get back in the can . My Plummer which is one of my bigger clients tells me to neutralize and pour in my septic, it won’t hurt anything, as it will get pumped out thru the drain field and it is neutral. I pour about 3 lbs of backing soda in a 20 gal bath and it puts it at 7 . Bigger then that I don’t know what to tell ya .

Keith and msestak like this.
  4. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Neutralizing the acid is easy enough, but you have to deal with the salt. I've never used it, and you are going to need to research this, but I believe potassium chloride can be used instead of salt for tanning processes.

You may want to try PM John C. on here he's used it. I found this in the search

https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/30083/

13 point and Frank E. Kotula like this.
  5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I don't think you want salt in your septic system. A gravel driveway or road is an option. If someone ask what you are doing, tell them you are killing fire ants!

livbucks, Clew and 13 point like this.
  6. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Yet the highways are coated in millions of tons of salt every winter.

7. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Salt is Salt, used all the time outside but I would not put that amount in my septic for concern of pipes rusting out. The Acid used is neutralized to a point of, well, neutral. To me it is gray water when treated properly.

ARUsher likes this.
  8. potassium chloride will work just fine. Its know to you as mortons light salt... BWI google them. A lawn chemical company can supply you nationwide.

I have used it over the years. Neutralize your vat and dump on the lawn. You will be surprised how green the lawn will be.

Keith likes this.
  9. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

You have fluids?glad I don’t have any. To get a business license here they want to know if you produce any haz mat. You do not want to go there in this state. I had to deal with that at my former job as a fleet mechanic. Log books, record of who picked it up, how much you produce, disposed of every 90 days, secondary containment vessels, permits, city county, state. So I don’t produce any! Do not need any government snooping around. Since we were a haz mat generator I had to have MSDS on every chemical that was in the shop including stupid things like white out used to correct errors on printed material.