1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fin Attachment On Skin Mount??

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by GuessWh0, Jul 17, 2022.

1. GuessWh0

GuessWh0 New Member

How do you guys attach artificial fins to skin mounts? I heard of a way where you can make a pocket by pressing the fin in the epoxy clay, then wait till it hardens then put the fin back on but Im having a hard time understanding that way, any help and other methods would help a lot!

msestak likes this.
  2. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Groove the pocket out, put in fin magic epoxy, will kick in 5-7 minutes
    Build up with the same depending on which fin and type of fish,
    I cut lots of fins off and replace with spares or repo fins

GuessWh0 and msestak like this.

3. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Here is a skin mount with all fins casted
    upload_2022-7-17_19-45-15.jpeg

Pescado, msestak, joeym and 4 others like this.
  4. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I have been both, attached reproduction fin and real fins to a skin. On some fish it seemed faster to remove the real fins. lay them out for carding then attach them fins after the skin has been paced on form and dried. I could get a better looking fin attachment area, plus a more natural pocket for the fin.

5. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

The only time I have done this is repair work on skin mounts where fin is gone or broken but still attached. I just use a little super glue around the root area put it back in place and wait for it to set up. This will hold the fin but will not be real strong. I then use a two part epoxy to strengthen and shape the fin base.

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

A0619181-07BF-4270-85AF-A5D9A36F7DFA.jpeg Here I have it carved out so fin can be inserted 9C5641B6-7C22-4B48-9B0A-ABF7AE747E2D.jpeg fin being built up with muscles 87268D18-6E82-42C2-8803-37FD5687446A.jpeg being fitted in with epoxy and fin dipped in alcohol so it’s easier to fit without sticking 49BB51E8-9F8F-41B1-B358-F1CC1736DC80.jpeg fitted fin then paint fish and install fins after painting with little epoxy work

Attached Files:

jigginjim and GuessWh0 like this.
  7. GuessWh0

GuessWh0 New Member

Fantastic fin to body transitions there! Ive always struggled getting them to be seamless like that, Ill be sure to try that method out!

8. GuessWh0

GuessWh0 New Member

Ive tried that method where you take all the fins off then reattach a few times and I cant seem to make the fin pockets properly, they tend to seem real flat when it comes to the pec fin and Id have to rebuild the pocket up

9. GuessWh0

GuessWh0 New Member

Thank you for going through the time in showing me that method, thats exactly what I was trying to figure out how to do and worked well!! Thank you so much!:D

jigginjim and Frank E. Kotula like this.
  10. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Frank has it. Someday I only hope to do a 1/3 of what he does. I have learn more from on this site as well as Matuska's Thurday live. The school I went to was F-ing joke. But knucklehead said "WEll these guys have won First Place Ribbons" It's up to you to retain the information." I was a Quality Assurance inspector in Aircraft machining. This guy was it's good enough. I want better! I have spoke to so many guys that feel the same as I do.
    I was a military instructor teaching Chemical and Nuclear operations and Decontamination.
    It's NOT F_ING GOOD ENOUGH. I show you, Now you show me!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I've used hot glue followed by apoxie sculpt for the ventral fins and klei for the dorsal fins.

The reason I use the hot glue is I don't like waiting around for the epoxy to kick while I hold the fin in position.