1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Killing Bugs In Vintage Mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by RunaFox, Jul 25, 2022.

1. RunaFox

RunaFox New Member

Hi everyone.

I bought a vintage fox mount from a certain online auction site that everyone knows, from an antiques dealer. Photos of fox looked great, was cleaned and in good condition. However upon unpacking my delivery, chunks of fur are falling out the underside of one foot and there's evidence of detritus or "bug poo" coming out too.

I wondered if any of these options would work to save the mount, as it's only affecting one foot -
    freeze it and kill them,
    spray "Raid" or other bug killer,
    follow up with rug doctor taxidermy protector.

I don't want them getting into my other mounts so I've shut it off in a room of it's own. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Freezing is a good first option. Once out of the freezer, give it a good dusting with borax or sevin dust. Allow to set a few days, then blow away excess dust with a hair dryer or compressed air.

msestak likes this.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

image.jpg

msestak, Trapster and RunaFox like this.
  4. RunaFox

RunaFox New Member

Thanks for your reply, joeym! I'll get right on it tonight.

msestak likes this.
  5. On this same note, (not trying to take over, I promise!)

If I have “moisture beetles” in my house that just will not go away what can I do with my pelts to try and save them...? It seems they keep getting attacked (they’re rabbit pelts and one deer pelt..)

msestak likes this.
  6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Get them outa there. Get an exterminator to bomb ur house . If they lay eggs in the hide your in trouble.

msestak likes this.
  7. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

i would place it in a big garbage bag and pray it with a good insecticide and seal the bag for days. the bugs under the hide are going to be hard to kill. OH...and freeze it

8. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

I HAD THEM ONCE (bugs) It all started with a freeze dried fawn in a sealed glass case. Looking at it one night I notices tiny pin hole throughout the fawn. About a month later I took off the lid and sprayed a tick bomb in there. The fawn cam a live , lots of little armadillo looking tiny shells in the moss habitat. I immediately starting looking over my mounts. My wood duck of 40 years had 5 babies under her in a knot hole, the babies were completely eaten up in side. I trashed the babies and put the hen and drake in a trash bag and sprayed the tick spray/bomb in the bag and sealed it. For safe precautions I did every deer head and any mounts I had. Went through 50 bags and a box of 6 bombs. No bugs any longer.

msestak likes this.