1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help With Fox Ears And Nose

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by akhenenra, Jul 29, 2022.

1. akhenenra

akhenenra Member

I couldn't find a consensus when I googled this so appreciate the help. Is it necessary to remove the cartilage from fox ears before mounting with earliners? I've removed cartilage from deer ears but the skin is so much thinner on the fox. I did one fox previously without removing the cartilage (just used hide paste and earliners)- it looks good but it's possible issues will arise later. In my reference photos the fox's ears seem to naturally curve inward unlike a deer's so is possible shrinkage less of a problem?
    Thanks for the help

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

No you don’t need to , use a good hide paste. Make sure you groom the ear hair as it dries so it covers the opening of the ear , and card the edges. Not sure what you mean by it curling in some , I’ve never seen that or had issues like that.

3. akhenenra

akhenenra Member

Cool thank you. I meant curl in as in the way that deer ears will curl inward when using the bondo method or keeping the cartilage in. When the cartilage shrinks and curls.

assuming I do need to take all the hard cartilage, etc out of the nose tho so it will fit over the form? Or do ppl sometimes carve out the nose and leave the cartilage in?

4. 13 point

If done correctly deer ears should not curl either. Yes all cartilage should be removed from nose , I can put a flash light to my noses after I thin and prep before mounting and you can see the glow .

5. akhenenra

akhenenra Member

ok cool, thank you again

6. 13 point

Yep

7. 13 point

That said I would use a replacement nose on fox

8. akhenenra

akhenenra Member

ok, I've been a little confused on those as well. Are they similar to a deer replacement nose in that they are just more detailed and eliminate the need to carve them out? Or do you actually cut out the real nose tissue and tuck the hair skin around the replacement nose? A couple instructions I've seen make it seem like the replacement nose is meant to be just that, completely replace the real nose.

9. 13 point

They completely replace the fox nose , when fleshing the fox , you cut the nose off completely at the hair line , no need to turn or flesh the nose at all . Some forms come with artificial nose already installed, if not you need to cut foam nose off form and put artificial nose on form . Don’t be afraid to trim the back section of the artificial cast nose to make fit . Then glue on to form and using apoxy sculpt blend artificial nose back in . Then when mounting use super glue gel to glue hide back up to artificial nose . It don’t take much .

10. akhenenra

akhenenra Member

Thank you this clears up a lot! Assuming the artificial nose is because it's difficult to get the fullness and texture of the natural nose from the skin?