1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rehydrate Shoulder Mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Randy, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Randy

Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

First off I have been doing taxidermy for 40 years. A lot of my work is from overseas and some are very unique. I just finished a Siberian Ibex and Tur from Europe. I looked at numerous forms and catalogs. There was only one manikin for the Ibex I could find that would work for this mount, just one. I just finished mounting it one week ago. Now comes the puzzle. I have screwed up a few times in my 40 years. I often make my own glue mixture consisting of dextrin, Elmer's glue and a thickener. It has worked well for me. Now the problem. The mount is a pedestal mount. After mounting the Ibex the form had a head that was drooping way to much. Looking towards the floor way to much. Why I did not notice it???? Crap. It does not look good. The cape was tanned by Wildlife Fur Dressing in California. I have used them for many years. Now for the question. Will this glue/paste rehydrate enough where I can rehydrate the glue so I can reposition the the head on the manikin and remount??? Randy

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  2. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Can you reposition the mount? Maybe tip it back some to raise the head. Post a pic so I can see what your talking about.

3. Randy

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Indeed it’s all water base hide paste and will hydrate. It’s always a bitch and time consuming to do it but I’ve done it more than enough with clients having their work done by done hack down the road and then ask me to fix it.

Keith and 3bears like this.
  5. Randy

I am old school therefore I have never posted a picture on this forum.

tazzymoto likes this.
  6. Randy

Hello tazzymoto Please give me a call. Randy (541) 571-1195

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Frank is correct, I use to use that paste mixture and have had to rehydrate shoulder mounts before. It was a bitch, but doable. There will be areas that just want to hold tight, just be careful and go slow, working towards the head. When I had to do it I used a wet but now too wet of a towel wrapped around mount and bagged it for at least a day and checked it every so often until it was workable.

Keith likes this.
  8. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

We also use dextrine/water/elmers glue paste. No thickener.

Since the mount is fresh it should remount nicely. With only a week drying, it wouldn't surprise me if you hit wet spots still. Just go slow taking it apart like 3bears said.

3bears likes this.
  9. Randy

I finally was able to get both pedestal mounts fixed and are drying now. It was challenging and stressful. Thanks for those that gave me some ideas to work with. Randy

Frank E. Kotula and 3bears like this.