1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Next!!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by drwalleye, Aug 5, 2022.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

I bought five cans of krylon Matt finish. I use that to seal my fish before I paint them. Today I sprayed a large mouth bass and it went on clear and within a minute it started turning white. I just shook my head and walked away for 5 minutes when I came back the whole fish was like it was covered in snow just totally White. I'm trying to use lacquer thinner to wash it off and it is turning into a big project. I squirt lacquer thin on her on it and it looks good then I wipe on it and then as soon as I stop wiping it turns white again I've done that about 15 times. Its getting better. Not great but has anybody else encountered this and should I just never spray my fish with the sealer again. Thanks for the advice in advance

2. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Hit it with hot air, sounds like humidity is too high
    I use bullseye shellac in spray can to seal fins and fish

Cecil and msestak like this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yep heat will help you so next time I would heat the fish up and then spray. You have to much humidity in your shop as that’s your culprit.

msestak likes this.
  4. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

So I have a dehumidifier running 20 feet.this is not a little whitish color it's like I sprayed it with white paint after it drys. Will this effect the base layer in any way for painting? I've been trying to get it all off with laqure thinner, but it still looks like a white haze all over it?

5. Clew

York, SC
    Just curious
    Was the fish dry?

msestak likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

One more time I'm gonna say it...Enviro-Tex...It's messy, but all the problems you are having will not exist. I quit using aerosols as final sealers and glosses ages ago.

msestak likes this.
  7. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

Ya I actually had it in front of the dehumidifier for 2 days just to make sure

8. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

Th
    This is my first deal before I begin to paint, not my final gloss. I would really have freaked if this happened after I was done with the paint job lol

joeym likes this.
  9. Clew

York, SC
    Only 2 days drying time?
    I have a dehumidifier and have high flow air on my fish min 6 days
    I live in SC lots of humidity
    Any hoot
    When dry use shellac spray can to seal fins and body

10. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

No was drying for 2 weeks I just put them in front of the fan for 2 days to make sure